Chapter 51: A suspicious accident

"Aubrey, I think you need to be careful with Columbus. Maybe get a restraining order? The man doesn't seem to get it", Philip said as we were having lunch. "I agree. He's out of control, you saw him at the ceremony right?", Justin asked but I honestly thought they were exaggerating. "Guys come on, he might be a little obsessed but not that crazy, trust me", I said but none of them believed me.

My phone started ringing and when I checked it was Bridget. It was weird, she never called me on weekdays. "Sorry guys, it's Ajax's Mum", I said and they nodded. "Hello Bridget, how are you?", I said cheerfully but she replied with a sniff like she was crying. "Bridget? Is everything ok?", I asked feeling my heart beat faster than usual. "I-i-its... Ajax, he had an accident", she said. "Where are you?", "At the regional hospital, please come quick", she said making me hang up and stand.

"What's up?", Philip asked already on his toes. "It's Ajax, he's been in an accident. I have to go", I said then called Jenkins who was standing by the door. "Fuck! I'm coming with you", Philip said making me stop him. "It's ok. I got this", I said then hugged Justin goodbye.

"Which hospital?", Jenkins asked, I didn't even ask why he was eavesdropping. I just said, "Regional", and "He's a tough nut, he will be ok", was all he said then started driving.

It felt good to see that even Jenkins cared about Ajax.

Me: Ajax had an accident.

Simone: I know, I'm at the hospital already.

Simone: Christopher called.

Simone: He will be ok Sis.

Simone: Trust me.

Me: Thank you, Simone.

Me: I pray that he does.

Me: He's my everything.

I released a breath.

He's going to be ok. I told myself as I saw the hospital gates coming into view.

By the time we reached the reception area, I was trembling, my feet couldn't move. "Hello, Ma'am, are you here for a clinic appointment?", the nurse at the reception asked but I couldn't talk. "We're here to see Ajax Dufort, which room is he in?", Jenkins asked. 

I'm giving him a raise for sure. 

He led me to the third floor and to the room the nurse instructed.

We found Sam and everyone else by the door. I was still feeling numb. "Sam, what happened?", I asked making him turn and look at me. "I don't know, one minute we were helping people evacuate the Forever Bright HQ, and the next, we found him trapped in one of their offices with wounds all over him", he said making me furrow my brows.

"What?", Simone asked while standing up. "What do you mean trapped?", she asked again. "I mean the door was locked which would make sense because most doors expand when overheated and the fire was insane", he said and the first thing I did was turn to Jenkins. "What type of door was it?", Jenkins asked. "Not a fire-resistant door that's for sure, which is why I'm confused", Sam said clearly missing the point of how suspicious everything seemed.

"But then again, I could be wrong because there was smoke everywhere", he said then we heard the door open and the doctor stepped out. "Family of Ajax?", he asked and we nodded while Bridget walked closer to him. "I'm his mother, this is his father, and that is his girlfriend... Darn it! We're all his family. Is he going to be ok? What happened to him? Can we see him?", she bombarded the doctor with questions that Christopher had to put his hand on her shoulder. "I'm sorry", she said with tears in her eyes.

"It's understandable Ma'am. He's still unconscious. He suffered a concussion and a 3rd degree burn on his left leg. We have treated it but it will take time to heal. He will be alright", he said making me release a breath. "Thank goodness", Bridget said then hugged Christopher. "Can we go see him?", she asked again and he nodded.

"Doctor, can we talk in private please?", I asked and he nodded and led me and Jenkins to his office. "It's an honour to meet you Miss Kendriks", he said when I sat on one of the chairs in his tiny office. "Thank you. I wasn't aware that I was famous in these areas", I said with a smile. "Well my daughter admires you and I must say the magazines don't do you justice. You're even more beautiful in person", he said clearly hitting on me.

What the hell! I'm six months pregnant you buffoon!

"So Doctor...", "Oh yes. Doctor Donavan", he said with a huge smile. "Doctor Donavan, tell me about Ajax's concussion", I said relaxed. "Pardon?", he asked looking uncomfortable. I gave Jenkins a side eye, "His fellow firefighter said he was trapped in a room that had no business locking itself and you said, he had a concussion and 3rd degree burn like it was a very normal thing so, I want you to tell us about his concussion and the 3rd-degree burn in details considering he was nowhere near the fire", Jenkins said with a raised brow.

I saw the Doctor swallowing hard. I didn't blame him. Jenkins could be terrifying when he wanted to be.

"I can't because of doctor-patient confidentiality", he said making me smirk. Jenkins stepped closer to him and leaned on the table. "You wanna try that again doctor?", he asked with a smile.

"According to the bruises on his body, he appears to have been in a fight before he lost consciousness. The 3rd-degree burn was not a result of the fire because the firefighter's gear was made resistant to it. It was also too concentrated so I'm willing to bet someone poured a corrosive substance on him then hit him on the back of the head and left him to die. That's just my theory though... only he can tell us what happened. I swear! That's all I know", he said while looking terrified.

"That wasn't so hard now was in Doctor Donavan?", I asked making him nod rapidly. "Please don't tell anyone. I might lose my job", he said making me nod as well. "You have my word", I said then stood up.

"Jenkins, please call Nico and tell him to arrange for Ajax's transfer to my hospital", "You got it", he said then led me back to Ajax's room. "What did the doctor say?", Bridget said when she saw me about to enter the room. "Nothing much, but I want to get him to a better hospital", I said and she nodded.

"Aubrey, can we talk for a sec?", Sam said then pulled me to the side. "What's up?", I asked when I saw him looking at me suspiciously. "Is your ex trying to hurt him?", he asked making me furrow my brows. "What?", "Come on Aubrey, Ajax told me you're ex has been nosy and it made him uncomfortable. He owns Forever Bright, it's too much of a coincidence for him to almost die in his building", he said making me look at him like he grew two heads.

"Sam, I don't understand", "The door wasn't fireproof Aubrey. It couldn't have locked itself. That's like fire fighting 101. I'm not stupid. If my friend is in danger I wanna help", he said with determination. "Look, I will look into it and tell you what I find out ok? That's why I went to talk to the doctor. You'll know when I know, deal?", I said making him smile.

I went into the room and found Simone and Christopher standing on one side of Ajax's hospital bed. His head was covered with band-aids while his left leg was exposed on top of a fluffy surface. His wound was terrifying. His shin was burned to a point where I could see his bone. It was the most scariest thing I had ever seen.

"Miss Aubrey, the transfer has been confirmed", Jenkins said as I was about to answer him a text appeared on my phone that made my anger skyrocket.

Unknown: If I can't have you no one will.