Chapter 2: That Butterfly Feeling

Soundtrack:
"First Time" by ILLENIUM and Iann Dior
"Sweet Perfection" by Never Shout Never
"Fruit Roll Ups" by Waterparks
"flutterbye w/ Percy" by dottie da

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Enid and I walk back to our dorm, she won't stop gushing. "He totally likes you! I mean, there was like an electricity between the two of you."

"I made a complete idiot out of myself." I say after we shut the door behind us.

"I'm sure that wasn't a very difficult task," Wednesday adds in response.

Enid never really entertains Wednesday's sarcasm or cold remarks. She just continues to always be her bubbly, Enid self.

"Oh, Wednesday, lighten up! I'm trying to hook your cousin here up with someone she has a crush on," Enid elbows me giggling.

Wednesday rolls her eyes and scowls. "Crushes are for children. Unless it's crushing with a large hammer, I'm not interested."

I go to reply but a ding from Wednesday's corner of the phone catches everyone's attention. She goes to retrieve her cell phone and Enid giggles about her finally joining this century and getting a cell phone.

After an annoyed sigh, she hands me her phone which is on a screen to reply to a text message. "Xavier wants your phone number, for whatever reason."

Enid squeals and I feel  my face flush red. I forgot that Enid told him I was Wednesday's cousin, so it would make sense for him to ask her for my number, right? I mean, he could've just asked me earlier.

No, stop it, dumb anxiety brain. I enter my number into her phone and hit send. It's not long before my phone vibrates in my pocket and I know it has to be Xavier.

"Okay, before you reply to your lover boy, let me put my number in your phone!" Enid says gleefully.

I hand her my phone and she puts her number in. "I'm giving her yours too, Wednesday. She should have our numbers in case she needs us."

"I'd rather be needed by an axe wielding kangaroo ...but fine." She says, crossing her arms.

I want to tell Wednesday I'm sorry about what happened with her boyfriend. She never opened up to anyone and I think that whole situation made her recoil into herself even more. I also can't help but remember what Enid had said earlier about thinking Wednesday and Xavier were going to hook up last year. How close were they actually?

Enid gives me back my phone and I open up the text message from Xavier. "Hey Princess, I'll be on the archery field in like 20 minutes if you wanted to hang out."

Archery was one of the only things Wednesday and I had in common. I may have actually been better than her at it. I text Xavier that I will be there and Enid stares at me impatiently.

"He asked me to go hang out with him at archery," I say, "but do I have to wear this uniform the whole time I'm here or can I go in like a t shirt and jeans?"

"Ooh, Anna has a date with Xavier!" She claps excitedly, "and you definitely can wear whatever you want to extracurriculars."

I go over to my closet and find my Ice Nine Kills t shirt and black skinny jeans to throw on. Wednesday raises an eyebrow at my outfit.

"What?"

She shakes her head. "Nothing. I'm just surprised is all. Xavier doesn't normally go for girls like you."

Excuse me? "What is that supposed to mean?" I scoffed.

"Needy, clingy, too emotionally dependent."

I can see Enid watching us out of the corner of my eye. "Maybe he wants someone that actually has emotions, Wednesday."