Chapter 22: Who the Hell is Brandi?

Soundtrack:

"I Was Made For Lovin' You" by YUNGBLUD
"Earned It" by The Weeknd
"Sunflower" by Post Malone
"Violent" by carolesdaughter
"the grudge" by Olivia Rodrigo
"No Time to Die" by Billie Eilish
"Powerless" by Waterparks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning, Sheriff Galpin stops by to see how we're doing while the doctor checks on Xavier's wounds.

"I'm glad to see the two of you are doing well. I wanted to get your statements so I can put it on record. It's just protocol." He says.

Xavier glares at him and continues to wince and curse under his breath as the doctor rewraps him. "You want our statements? That place was a fucking shithole laboratory experimenting on and torturing outcasts and I basically died rescuing Anna. There's my statement."

I touch Xavier's arm and try to keep him calm. "Xavier, it's okay."

The sheriff pulls up a chair and sits down, sighing. "I was going to say that with all the old wiring in that place and gas lines, it's a wonder it didn't go up in flames sooner than it did. That's what I was going to put on the record, but just wanted to see if either of you had any objections."

Xavier and I exchange looks with each other and see that the sheriff is smiling. I nod and he stands up, patting both of us on the shoulder. "You kids did good. What you need to do now is just relax and enjoy the rest of your school year. You deserve it."

•~*•~*•~*•~*•~*•~*•~*•~*•~*•~*

After another two weeks in the hospital, we'd watched so many movies and the whole series of American Horror Story. Xavier joked that we were like Tate and Violet and I had to remind him that Tate got Violet's mother pregnant with a demon baby.

"Okay, well obviously not that part. Your mother is scary."

I laugh but at the mention of a demon baby, I can't help but wonder about Tyler and Wednesday's future child. What if she gets the Hyde gene like Tyler and his mother had? Will they even be able to know before it's too late? I know it's something they don't have to worry about for probably a while, but the thought still sits in my mind.

"I think I'm going to have Wednesday and Enid get all of the paintings and things out of the shed and move them to my room. We have lots of great memories there, but there's just too many bad vibes surrounding the woods in general anymore for me." He says, trying to cover up the fear that washes across his face when he mentions the woods.

I take his hands in mine and get him to look at me. "Hey, I'm scared too. I know it's over or whatever but I'm still terrified."

His expression softens and he lets out a single laugh. "You're right. I'm sorry. I honestly don't care if we ever go outside again, Princess."

"Me either. And I mean, can the housemaster honestly give you a hard time? You legitimately died."

"And tore a guy in half, apparently." He eyes me and I start laughing.

"Well, he shouldn't have touched you. You're mine," he growls in my ear and I feel his hand on my thigh.

"Xavier Thorpe, I know you're not trying to seduce me in a hospital bed." I say while shaking my head, but I don't move his hand.

He kisses from my ear down to my collarbone while his hands travel up my sides. "Is it working?"

All he has to do is barely look at me to seduce me, he's Xavier, but I didn't want to give the hospital any reason to not let me stay with him. Every night for the past week, the nurses stopped coming around 9:00 and Xavier was usually fast asleep shortly after; nearly dying really takes it out of you. But, tonight, it's way past 9:00 and he's still awake so he must be feeling better. I'm still scared I'll hurt him though, and I tell him so.