Chapter 21 (Anna's POV): Three Heartbeats

Soundtrack:

"Kissing You Goodbye" by The Used
"Die A Little" by YUNGBLUD
"i can't breathe" by Bea Miller
"The Mortician's Daughter" by Black Veil Brides
"I Don't Wanna Live Forever" by Ice Nine Kills

~~~~~~~~~~~|

(Anna's POV)

Xavier is bleeding profusely and I try with all my might to run to him but Wednesday won't let me go because of the creature battling with Enid. I'm a few seconds away from shocking her just so she'll release me. He looks in worse shape than Bianca was, and she was unconscious when we found her in the woods.

He tries to lean up on his elbows but slips in his own blood and falls back down. There's three gashes that run from his shoulder all the way across to his left side. His tan Nirvana shirt is slowly soaking with blood and I hear him mutter 'Fuck' under his breath.

"Xavier!" I scream, feeling all the air go out of my lungs.

"I th-think we won, Anna," he says barely above a whisper but I hear him try to chuckle.

I see him struggling to breathe and when he wipes his mouth, blood comes away with it.

No. This isn't fucking happening.

"Wednesday, let me go!" I shout and pull out of her grip on my arms so I can get to Xavier who is barely conscious.

She lets go of my arm and I run over to him and fall beside him as the hot tears race down my cheeks.

He leans up on his elbows and looks at me the way he did the first time we saw each other at Nevermore, only this time, I'm terrified it might be the last. "P-princess."

I cradle his head in my lap and my eyes won't leave the deep gashes on his chest. He reaches a bloody hand up and caresses my cheek gently, trying to force a smile. There's so much blood that I don't know if there's even a way to stop the bleeding but I take off my jacket and press it against his chest.

"I love you. I-I told them I was prepared to die for you." He searches my eyes and then coughs, blood splattering on the floor. "Y-you gave me a reason to live and to fight, Anna. I-I'm so happy I got to love you."

My heart feels like it's going to explode. Why isn't anyone helping me save him? He can't fucking die. "I love you! Which is why you have to stay, Xavier, I fucking need you! Please!"

I hold his head against my chest and his usual warmth is gone, replaced by an unfamiliar coldness. My powers are useless right now.

He smiles and I can see how pale he's gotten as his breathing slows. "Anna, baby, I'm so sorry."

His hand falls from my face and he stops moving. I scream his name and shake him. I can't feel any of my body parts. Everything is numb and I'm not letting him go.

"I need you! You can't leave me here!" I say between choked sobs while holding him in my arms.

Wednesday finally comes and kneels down beside me and puts her fingers to Xavier's wrist, checking his pulse. She looks up at me but doesn't say anything.

"Anna ..." Wednesday starts and I fall apart all over again.

"Don't you dare say it! Just help him!" I scream at her.

Wednesday shakes her head, looks up above me and asks,"Tyler? What are you doing here?"

His eyes stop on me holding Xavier's bloody lifeless body. "Ajax, come help me get Xavier outside! There's an ambulance!"