Chapter 19: Zoey and Andy

Soundtrack:

"Put Me Back Together" by Grace Grundy
"Scary Love" by The Neighbourhood
"this must be my exit (unplugged)" by dottie da
"If You Ever Leave, I'm Coming with You" by The Wombats
"listen before i go" by Billie Eilish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I honestly thought it was just a memory dream of when you were little again, until I saw that she had my eyes, and your smile."

Wednesday turns around towards us again and glares. "So, she is pregnant?"

Xavier shrugs. "I have no idea, Wednesday. All I know is what my dreams show me. I can't exactly pick and choose what context clues I'm given."

"Then you need to go to the infirmary, before you leave. They'll keep it confidential, by law they have to. I can even take her, if you want to start packing what the two of you will need for three weeks like Tyler's dad said to do." Her gaze softens once she realizes Tyler has his hand on her leg, probably telling her to be nice.

"Why would she want to go with you?" Xavier glares at her.

The two start bickering and Tyler tries to get a word in, but they won't stop. "Wednesday, Wednesday!"

She quiets and stares at Tyler. "What?"

"I'm sure she wants to go with Xavier and if anything's wrong, she'll probably tell you."

Wednesday sighs. "Fine."

Xavier and I are the only two who get out when we get back to Nevermore. Wednesday decides to go back to Tyler's house with him.

We stop in front of the infirmary door and I'm frozen to the ground. "Xavier, I don't think I can go in there."

"I'll be right by your side, if you want me to be, or I can wait out here. Just tell her you can't feel your arm implant anymore and she should get the picture." He puts his arm around me and rubs my back reassuringly.

I shut my eyes and try to calm my breathing. "I really don't think I can even move, not without you."

"Then I'll be right here with you." He takes my hand in his and I basically follow him inside.

The infirmary is empty, which makes me feel a little less anxious. A tall, older lady, who has to be a vampire, comes out from the other room and doesn't realize we're standing there.

"Oh, hello there! How can I help you lovelies today?" She stands in front of us and smiles warmly.

I start to speak, but nothing really comes out that makes any grammatical sense. The nurse blinks and turns to Xavier. "Honey, I'm sure you speak her language better than I do."

"Um ... yeah, my fiancée is having a hard time finding her arm ... implant thing."

I feel my face heat up. The nurse smiles and takes her sunglasses off. "I know being a teenager is super awkward already, so I promise I'll do my best not to make you more uncomfortable."

She squints at Xavier and tilts her head. "You said ... fiancée right? So clearly you two are here for a reason, otherwise why would the state of the arm implant matter, right?"

I nod slowly, still trying to not make eye contact with her.

"I'm doing my very best to ask you yes or no questions, and you've already told me quite a bit of information. So, how about I tell you about the couple I just had come to me for help?" She steps towards her office door and gestures for Xavier and I to go in, so we do.