Chapter 18: Outcast Protection Program

Soundtrack:

"Dani" by A Smile From the Trenches
"Vulnerable" by Secondhand Serenade
"Can't Help Falling in Love" by Ice Nine Kills
"Control" by Halsey
"Blood // Water" by grandson
"Heart Like Yours" by Williamette Stone

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xavier's birthday is the following Sunday, and Wednesday's is the Friday after that. Enid and I are collectively trying to figure out what to do for both of them, which isn't easy since we don't have a ton of money.

"They're going to be seventeen, Enid, and Wednesday already hates surprises, and parties, and happiness."

She shrugs and tosses her notebook onto the bed. "I am running out of ideas here. What would she want? Has she given you any ideas?"

I think back to the night we went out to dinner with her parents, when she said that she never got a chance to ever just be alone with Tyler. "Actually, she has. She wants to be alone with Tyler, but all of us are always there too. So, ideally, Wednesday would like us to do nothing and let Tyler plan it."

"Noted! What about Xavier?" Enid asks, chewing on the end of her pen. "Any ideas for him? Other than you, of course."

I roll my eyes and grin. "Very funny. But, I was actually thinking about getting him an acoustic guitar. His dad mentioned something about Xavier being really good at the guitar and singing."

Her eyes light up. "No way! That's really cool, I didn't know he could sing! And also, you met his dad?"

"Yeah, he came to Parents Day and was actually really cool. Speaking of Xavier, he and I are supposed to go into town today to get a new futon, so I'll see if I can find anything for Wednesday too."

She nods. "Sounds like a plan. Has Tyler said if his dad has found anything out yet?"

"If he has, Wednesday hasn't told me about it." I shrug.

Enid starts to say something else when someone knocks on our door. It startles her so badly she forgets what she was saying, but I just hop off of my bed and answer it. Xavier is standing in the doorway with his hair tied up in a messy bun, slightly dampened from sweat. He is still trying to catch his breath.

"Anna, have you been down to our shed recently?"

I shake my head, observing the fact that he must've been jogging. "Not since we showed it to your dad. Why?"

He shuts his eyes and shakes his head, letting out a shuddering breath as his eyes meet mine. "Someone trashed it. I don't know when they did it or-or who did it, but they were looking for something."

I feel like my heart drops into the pit of my stomach. "Did they take anything?"

"I don't know, I figured we'd go look together." He smiles but it doesn't meet his eyes, and what does is full of sadness.

I nod, calling to Enid that I'd be back later. Xavier and I walk side by side down the stairs to the main floor and I can tell his thoughts are all over the place. As we approach his art studio shed, there is an immediate ominous feeling in the air. The door had been thrown open so hard that it broke off of the top hinges and is swaying back and forth in the wind. My feet feel like they're cemented to the ground as we stand in front of it.

"Hey, Princess, I've got you." He realizes my apprehension and wraps an arm warmly around my waist as we walk into the shed together.

The place was ransacked. Paintings are strewn about, along with our pillows and blankets. Tables are turned upside down, but there's really no indication that anything is missing. Xavier starts putting the tables back the way they were and I gather the paintings. We silently pick up the pieces of what was once our secret place, until Xavier stops and stares at something on the floor.