Part 33 - You and Open Flames

It has been three days. 

He hasn't called. I know he needs his space but at this moment, it feels like we are over. And we were so close. So close to maybe making it to a place in our relationship where we would have been secure in each other. And yet, here we are again.

"I'm here to get you out of your funk," Jen says as she stands in the doorway of my office. "You only have a week left here, and you can't spend it wallowing over Jerry's childishness."

"I'm pretty childish too," I admit and take a deep breath.

"I didn't say you weren't," she adds with a laugh.

I raise my eyebrow up at her, "You sure are sassy now that everything with Sean is peaches and cream."

She laughs again, "nothing about that man is peaches and cream," she answers, her cheeks reddening.

"Wow," I laugh and lean back in my chair. "So, where are we going to go?"

"Local's joint, get some soup." She answers with a shrug.

"Soup again?" I ask.

She nods, "its cold, we need soup."

She drives us down to the Wharf and we order clam chowders and hot teas at the busy counter.

The restaurant is old and smells like warm bread and aged wood. It's a large industrial building with a long counter and small tables crammed together to fit as many people as possible. But it's warm and inviting.

Once our steaming bowls are in front of us she turns to me, "you have communication issues."

I almost choke on my hot soup in surprise at her harsh statement.

"Fuck, can you keep the Eastern European frankness in check for a second? Or give me a warning?" I ask and motion to the waitress behind the counter for a glass of water.

"You need to talk to both of them. You need to open up," She says and begins to stir her tea.

"I don't know what to say," I reply.

"You just need to try," She mumbles as she blows on her soup.

"My mother had a threesome- love triangle-thing, and I think it's in my DNA, I have no idea who my father is," I say as I stir the hot soup.

She looks over at me and laughs, "well, fuck, do they know about that?" She asks.

I shake my head no. "I'm too embarrassed."

"Your parents' decisions aren't yours, but if their decisions bother you, that is something to share. It gives some background for your actions," She says and slurps her soup.

"Maybe you should be a therapist rather than a teacher," I say with a laugh.

She shrugs, "kind of the same thing."

I nod.

She pulls a napkin out of her bag and slides it across to me. I recognize the handwriting immediately, it's Layne's and he has written a note for her to call him if she needs anything.

"Here, take this, and call him tonight," she says and nods at me to take it.

I trace his handwriting with my finger and say, "I have his number."

She nods, "take the note, it will remind you to call."

I feel tears running down my face and I don't really know why. She leans over and hugs me, "go splash some water on your face then I will tell you about the classes I am signing up for in the Spring. She squeezes me and I cant help but smile at her excitement.