Chapter 28

Adrien's POV:

      I wished I could remember more about Marinette.  I only recently remembered her nickname and meeting her on the first day at the school.  I recall she has always been nice to me.

     Why does her hand feel like it belongs with mine? I shook my head.

      I saw her puzzled look as she pulled her hand away. Oh, no, she thinks I do not want her to touch me.

      "Marinette, I know we are friends, and you sit behind me in school," I said.

       "Yes, you're right," Marinette said.

         " Nathalie said something about a trial, but I am not sure what the trial is all about," I explained.

      "Oh, that, Nathalie, is suing your father for custody of you, Adrien," Marinette blurted out.

         I was shocked. Why would Nathalie try to take me from my father or him from me?

         "W-what?" 

         "She worries because your father has not been making sure you had enough varieties of food. The doctors say you came in with little liquids and were malnourished.  I mean you have eaten crackers and salads a lot lately," Marinette answered.

           "Now that you mention it, today was the first time I have tried fries, and I must say they taste good," I admitted.

            "You think those are good, wait until you try a hamburger," Marinette responded.

               "I would not mind a hamburger if you were there with me," I said. 

              I saw Marinette's shocked look.  It was then I wondered, "Did I say something wrong?"  I hoped not because she was important to me. I was sure of it. I knew we were friends. I wished she were more. I had no idea why because it wasn't like she liked me, right?

            "A-Adrien, you should not say such a thing to me," Marinette said. She had tears as she spoke.

            Great, Agreste you made her cry, I thought.  I did not mean to. I thought she would be happy to eat a burger with me. I mean she had suggested I try one.   Who better to try it with than her?

            "Why not?" I asked.

                "B-because you d-don't s-see me as anything to you, other than..." I heard her say. Then, she took a deep breath. "Just a friend, that is what I am," Marinette explained.

                 I thought for sure I must have heard wrong.  How else could she explain why she thought, I considered her only a friend?  That could not be right, she was far too pretty to be just a friend or to remain one.  I was certain she had to be a girlfriend or at least one I wanted to be mine.

              "Mari, where did you get that idea?" I asked. I saw her look at her feet like she was suddenly interested in her footwear. What was the matter with me?  I had told her how crazy I was about her.  At least, I thought I had.

               "I got it from ..." She began.  Before she could finish, Nathalie came back into the room.

           "Sorry to interrupt. Adrien, you need to know, that I distrust your father.  Because of him you lost your memories and ended up here, " Nathalie said.

          "That can't be right, my father loves me, I am his son. Besides, there was a scooter," I said.

          "A scooter, what scooter?" Nathalie asked.