Chapter 24: patience

Theodore's P.O.V

The days flew by in a blur. I avoided seeing Amelia on campus and felt my chest hurting every time I thought of her. The image of her crying burned a hole in my brain. We were never going to happen and I got my hopes up.

I got to campus and ordered from the coffee cart in front of the building. My body tensed from feeling someone was watching me. I looked around and felt the hair rising in the back of my neck. Once my coffee order was ready, I grabbed it and started walking to meet up with Miles. We normally had classes together.

"Theo." I heard Shawn said catching my attention.

"Hey, what are you doing here early?" I asked walking towards him. His classes were on the opposite side of campus. He was out of breath.

"I overheard Zachary and Harry talking about Ethan." He said and my body tensed at the name. From what we know so far, he was now the leader of the THORNES . He was trying to get revenge from me trying to kill him when I was working with Zachary. However, I assumed the attack on Amelia was his only attempt.

I zoned out thinking of what Zachary figured out so far. However, that meant talking to the guy who tired to fuck me over and used Amelia to do it.

"He's here on campus." I heard Shawn said and I felt a weird turn in my stomach. I dropped my coffee and sprinted towards Amelia's apartment complex. It was only a seven minute walk from here and I could beat that time.

I heard foot steps behind me and already knew it was Shawn. Amelia did not have class until the evening so she should be at her apartment. However, Ethan being this close means he is a threat.

Shawn and I walked passed the lobby to the elevator. We knocked the door with no response, which made Shawn and I shared an impatient look.

I tried to kicked the door open and it swung open breaking the lock.

"OH MY GOD." Aria came running out with a toothbrush in her hand. Shawn protectively walked beside her and kissed her on the forehead.

"Sorry, we couldn't wait. I will fix the door later." He said and she nodded her head.

"Where's Amelia?" I asked and realized my body was shaking. It could've been from the adrenaline rush.

"She is not here." Kayla said coming out of her room. She was putting her laptop into her bag and started to make coffee.

"Where is she?" I asked nervously. Kayla and Aria shared an expression I could not read. It looked like they were communicating with their minds.

"We really can't tell you, Theo." Aria said giving me a look of sympathy. That gave away that they knew that Amelia and I were not together anymore. "But she's okay." Aria reassured me.

I pulled out my phone and started to scroll through my contacts. I was letting my pride and ego get in the way. I was doing this for Amelia.

"Who is that?" Shawn asked.

"Miles, meet us by Wilslow Road." I said and hanged up the phone. I said a quick bye to the girls and exit with Shawn.

"What are we doing here? We have a quiz today." Miles whined and I let out a dry laugh. He doesn't care about good grades.

We went to Shawn's dorm room on campus. My mind was running with possibilities of what Ethan planned to do on campus.

I know his motive is to mess with me but I can't spend all this time looking over my shoulder. He already hurt Amelia and I wasn't going to let it happen, again.

"We can kill him." Miles said and I thought he was joking.

"Are you insane?" Shawn asked. If we were in a lighter situation, I would've laughed at his reaction. I looked at Shawn who was great at tracking down people.

"Find out where Amelia is and inform me when you find out where she is" I said and we started to gather everything to make a move.

"What can I do?" Miles asked and I cursed myself. Miles was someone who doesn't take anything seriously. He was an amazing friend but right now I don't know what he can manage. He was never paying attention or thinking quick on his feet.

"I will call you for backup." I said walking faster, away. " I am going to find out why Ethan is here from the Welcome Center." I said before exiting the room. It was light work to get information out from those people.

"Sorry I can't disclose that information." Francesca lightly smiled and returned back to her computer.  Of course, she had to be the only one in the office today.

I knew hooking up with her was a bad idea. She was revengeful.

"Tell me what do you want and I will give you anything." I said desperately. She blew a bubble and popped it making me annoyed. Patience was never my thing so this was my last straw.

"I want a date" She said.

"No" I said blurted out.

"Not with you." She said rolling her eyes. She tilted her head and her eyes focused on something behind me. I followed her stare to where Miles was trying to balance three books on his head.

"Done." I said. "Now tell me what you know about Ethan Hale." I said.