Movie night

(Warning for attempted su!c!d3 it's not v graphic but just beware)

As I stood over the balcony, looking down below at the vast city, I felt a light breeze against my face, whipping my hair behind me. I'd taken off my shoes, undid the ribbons in my hair, and left notes for the people who I hold close. The ones who deserved an explanation.

Now, there was only one thing left to do.

I closed my eyes, allowing my thoughts to drift.

I was leaving this world, leaving this city, and leaving the one I loved most.

The city was lit up, thousands of lanterns illuminating the night sky. They floated in the air like stars, some passing through the cloud bank above. I wanted so badly to join them.

I was ready to go, I knew I was. There was nothing left for me here, nothing left for me to hold on to. I'd found some way to hurt everyone I know, everyone I love. I caused destruction, this was something that had to be done.

As I begun to climb over the railing, I heard a voice cry out, one that I recognized all too well.

"Anna!"

I turned my head slightly, the sight of her hair shining under the lights making my heart stop.

There she was, the woman I loved, the one who I would always love, running towards me. Ethel looked pained, her eyes wide, tears threatening to fall.

I gripped the railing tighter, backing into it. "Stop! I will do it!" I warned, and she stopped dead in her tracks, still as a statue.

"Rosanna, what are you doing?" She said, her voice shaking.

I swallowed. It wasn't a dream, it wasn't a nightmare. She was real.

The reality of the situation hit me.

Ethel, my love, was here, and I was leaving her, right in front of her eyes.

"Ethel—" I began, my throat dry. I tried to think of a reason, an excuse, a lie, but I had none.

She cut me off, "Anna, why are you doing this?" She was holding back tears, eyes wide and terrified in shock, yet her voice was calm and soothing, like the eye of a storm.

I stared at her, the words dying on my lips. I opened my mouth, then closed it again, my breath shallow. My chest heaved, and the tears I had been holding back begun to fall. "I'm sorry, Ethel," I cried, the guilt eating me from the inside.

She carefully stepped closer, holding out her hand, like she was trying to lure a lost and scared animal.

I took her hand, and she led me to the ground and away from the railing. She didn't say anything, just held me tight and rubbed my back. She let me cry until there were no tears left, until my face was dry and my throat sore.

I calmed down, Ethel pulled away and held me at arm's length. She looked deep into my eyes, her eyebrows knitted in concern. "Rosanna, why would you try and do something like that?" She asked, her voice laced with worry, confusion, and fear.

I looked down at the floor. She lifted my chin up so that our eyes met.

I didn't want to lie, not now, but there was no way I could tell the truth. There never was an easy way to tell the truth, you just keep telling lies until it all blows over.
But Ethel didn't deserve that. She deserved to know the truth after what I did, what I put her through.
She didn't need to know everything yet, the story would take hours to tell. But there was one thing I needed to say.