V+G

Veska looked into her mirror as she took off her jewelry, one by one. She secured each golden piece into a small wooden box that sat on her little vanity. It used to be her mother's and was crafted out of ceremonial tree wood she was buried under. One of the few things she was able to take with her to Coruscant.

She softly sighed to herself, raking her fingers as best she could through her hair. She missed having her braids, but with all the work that had to be done she could never properly sit down to get her hair done. She knew Daiya would probably gladly braid her hair for her, though.

It had gotten quite oily and would have to be washed soon. Upon that she also noticed the heavy bags that formed under her eyes. She was only 21 but felt decades older. The weight of leading a rebellion felt like it doubled every day, and it wasn't getting any better. It felt like all she ever saw nowadays was bloodshed. It didn't feel like she was making a difference at all. 

She couldn't save her brother, and she knew she couldn't protect the only family she had left for long.

She was so lost in her thoughts, lost in her mind that she hadn't noticed her wife enter the room.

Veska looked into the peripheral view of the mirror, watching Gia change out of her work wear and into new undergarments. She hadn't said anything to Veska, which was strange. Veska knew what to look for when something was wrong, and she could sense the overall bad energy that radiated off of her.

"Kesh 'an, Vaskil?" Is something wrong, Dear?, Veska wiped her face and began wrapping her hair up, keeping her gaze on her through the reflection of the glass.

Gia paused. She pulled a loose tank over her head as she gathered her other clothes that she had left on the floor. She tossed them into the dirty bin and licked her finger to put out a candle. Veska knew that she preferred to avoid bright overhead lights in their bedroom.

"Le," was all she responded with, groaning as she got into bed.

No.

Veska pressed her lips together, then turned her head to look at her. "I think we're past that, aren't we? You can tell me things." she walked over to the dresser, ditching her robe and changing into shorts and a t-shirt. Gia didn't respond to that, turning onto her side and letting out a deep sigh. Her whole body was sore from today. 

She was silent as Veska settled into bed next to her, and she didn't move when she inched closer, wrapping a hand around her stomach and pulling her close. "I don't want you to be upset. If you tell me I can help."

Gia's breathing had slowed down considerably. Veska could tell she was exhausted. "Les 'an." she murmured, squeezing her hand. Not now.

Veska's brow furrowed with concern, but she nodded slowly, kissing the back of her exposed neck and letting her hand trail over the tattoo that spread out over her shoulder blade.

She couldn't see it in the dimly lit room, but the pattern was tattooed around a birthmark that she shared with Gaven. They both had tattoos to match that were in honor of each other. She ran her fingers over the dark swirls and shapes, knowing the design well.

"Shei'den," she whispered, nuzzling her face into her back. Goodnight.

Gia almost shivered from the sudden warm touch, turning herself over to face her. She was still upset, and Veska could sense the tension. She wasn't going to push her, though.

"A'hena Barsh." she whispered back, pulling her closer. I love you.

She didn't get an immediate response, and Veska softly smiled, planting a small kiss on her chapped lips. "I love you too. Neioba."

"Neioba," Gia echoed, her tone soft and distant. She didn't return the kiss, her eyelids fluttering shut and her breathing falling back to its usual pace.

Veska kept her hold on her, closing her eyes as she focused on her presence. She was always able to calm her down.

Sleep eventually took Gia, but Veska didn't drift off so easily. She was left awake and worried.

Worried that there wasn't much time left before she'd lose her too.

-