25. Calling Bets

"Ha, that's what they all say in the beginning, but it's always mor-" Bucky insisted turning to face you.

"Who the hell is 'all' you lived in when you were 24 years old and literally came back out a couple of years ago. You don't know people, at all!" You rolled your eyes at him.

"I don't know people?" Bucky said shocked by your statement.

"Everyone knows you're anti-social," You said, crossing your arms like a child, clinging onto your plant.

"Ahhh, everyone says that?" Bucky asked back, like a snappy little kid.

You nodded your head dramatically.

"And I can say that with safety, because you're a public person, and I've read what they say about you, so yes, everyone thinks you're a silent little baby," You said, snapping your fingers at him.

James rested his hands on his waist.

"So you've been reading about me?" Bucky asked, pleased, with a slight hint of annoyance in his voice.

"I was forced to, by my mom, who has the biggest crush on you," You spit out. Words fell faster than you could control.

"Maybe I should go and hang around her instead," James said, walking closer to you.

"Well it's the only woman you'll ever be able to communicate with in this century with your tacky flirting skills!" You almost shouted.

You noticed people starting to look at the two of you as you fell silent. You didn't mean for the conversation to escalate, but James was acting like a child and you couldn't help but to sink down to his level. James crossed his arms. The two of you looked like two little kids that were fighting about who should apologize to who first, but neither wanted to take initiative.

"You don't think I can flirt?" Bucky asked.

"I know I am better," You said, lifting one eyebrow.

"Is that a challenge?" Bucky said, letting his hands fall down.

If you were going to be prick, Bucky was going to play the same ball. He knew he got game, and he was not about to let a short little feisty lady tarnish that. His ego could not take it. Also, it might be fun, putting himself out there, even if it served no serious purpose. Nothing would feel better than proving you wrong either.

"Fine, yes!" You said waving your hands.

"The pub, tomorrow night. The one that gets the most numbers by 1 am wins," Bucky said reaching out his hand for you.

"Deal," You said, shaking his hand.

"The winner chose the punishment," Bucky said, smirking.

"Great, amazing," You said, letting go off his hand.

Bucky phone suddenly began to call, or first you thought it was his phone, but it didn't really look like a phone. He turned away, clearly trying to hide whatever he was about to talk about. You looked away, acting like you gave him some privacy, but you were listening like a hawk. You sensed that he was speaking about something serious, as the tone of his voice was monotone and neutral. Not saying much, and everything at the same time. He suddenly turned around looking at you with a smile.

"Tomorrow, 9 pm, yeah?" Bucky said, stepping away.

"What, your just gonna leave with my groceries?" You said annoyed looking down at all his bags.

James walked over to you, dropping everything in your hands. You looked at him frustrated while he was grinning.

"You won't take it personally right?" he said, looking down at you.

He so badly wanted to kiss you.

"Since we're just friends," Bucky said, before he walked off.

What an asshole.