3; Answers

Saad's heart raced as he cautiously scanned the crowded venue, searching for the perfect opportunity to steal away and catch a glimpse of Ranya, his favorite person in the world. The entire day had been a blur of activity, spent helping his cousins prepare for an upcoming wedding. But now, amidst the chaos of the event, spotting Ranya was like a ray of sunshine breaking through the clouds.

When he finally laid eyes on her, a grin spread across Saad's face, radiating from within. All the hard work suddenly felt worthwhile. Sneaking behind a decorative pillar, he discreetly tried to catch her attention .

To his delight, Ranya, who had been eagerly anticipating his arrival, noticed him the moment he attempted to slip into the ceremony. Their eyes met, and a smile played on her lips as she carefully rose from her seat, mindful not to disturb the beautiful henna adorning her hands.

Saad's grin widened as he approached her, admiring her beauty for a fleeting moment before speaking. "Wanna get outta here for a bit?" he asked, his voice filled with a hint of mischief.

Ranya's eyes sparkled with amusement as she leaned against the entrance frame. "Your mehndi looks great. Whose name is hidden in it?" Saad inquired, his gaze shifting to the intricate designs gracing her palms during her cousin's mehndi ceremony. He gently held her hands in his, savoring the brief connection before releasing them.

"Why don't you guess?" Ranya challenged playfully, meeting Saad's gaze with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

Saad chuckled. "Hmm, well, I would hope mine?" he teased, but his smile faltered slightly when he noticed a shift in Ranya's expression. She suddenly appeared somber and distant.

"I'm joking," Saad hurriedly added, hoping he hadn't unintentionally upset her, although a part of him secretly wished to see his name etched on her palms.

Ranya's response was tinged with a hint of tension. "I'm sorry," she murmured, her eyes lingering on Saad's features for a moment before she looked down at her embellished lengha. "It's just... it's been a long day."

Concern washed over Saad as he glanced outside the balcony, noticing the pitch-black night sky. He knew Ranya had a tendency to forget about eating, especially when caught up in the whirlwind of events.

"Have you eaten yet?" Saad asked gently, his voice filled with genuine care. "No, not yet. I've been running around helping everyone," Ranya replied with a tired smile.

"I'll bring you some food then. Biryani with raita?" Saad suggested, already knowing her answer. He was familiar with Ranya's preferences, her favorite meal at every event.

"You know me so well, don't you?" Ranya remarked, her eyes softening with gratitude and a touch of warmth. The understanding between them was unspoken yet deeply felt, a testament to the bond they shared.

-

After seeking guidance, Ranya felt a weight lift from her shoulders, as if she were floating like a feather. Tidying away her things, she decided not to redo her skincare routine & simply rest. By sunrise, her uncertainty had ebbed, yet she still craved the perspective of others, especially those likely to be affected.

Waking up the next day at 10a.m., Ranya readied herself, knowing it was time to speak with her parents. She had always shared a close relationship with them; they weren't your typical distant desi parents but rather kind and supportive.

"Baba?" Ranya called out, her voice ringing as she descended the stairs, searching for her father. "There you are. Baba, I need your advice."

Her father, folding his newspaper neatly and setting it aside before taking a sip of chai, smiled warmly. "What's on your mind?" he asked, inviting her to share.

This was the first time she had spoken to her father since the events with Salman. When she had first learned of what happened, her world shattered. Confusion and dismay overwhelmed her, but when the reality sunk in, she couldn't bring herself to disclose the news to her parents; instead, she withdrew into her room.

"Well, you know about what Aunty said last night? What should I do?" Ranya questioned, her tone tinged with vulnerability, reminiscent of when she was a young girl seeking her father's guidance.

"Before you make a decision, let's talk about what happened with Salman," her father began, eliciting a shaky sigh from his beloved daughter.

"What do you mean?" Ranya feigned ignorance, blinking back tears.

"Beta, you know what I mean," he prodded gently, placing a comforting hand on her head, his heart aching at the sight of his daughter in distress.

"Baba, I... I don't know. It's just... it's sad, I guess. But I have to move on. I just don't know if it should be Saad—he's Salman's brother," Ranya admitted, finally uttering her ex-fiancé's name for the first time since the ordeal.

"Does that matter to you?" her father asked, searching her eyes for clarity.

"Well, yeah. Isn't that kind of weird? Everyone will have so many opinions, and I don't know if it's worth it. But we've already invested so much time and money into this, and it's my dream wedding, Baba," Ranya poured out her heart, her words spilling forth faster than ever.

"It doesn't matter what others think, nor the money. Beta, I won't force you into anything. The decision is yours," her father reassured her, offering her the agency she needed.

Feeling somewhat unchanged in her resolve but lighter in spirit, Ranya decided to seek counsel from the one person who knew her better than anyone—her best friend, Dua.

Dua was aware of all of Ranya's innermost thoughts, with a few exceptions. The last time she had been at Dua's house was a day before Salman's sudden change of heart. Initially, Ranya feared it might be awkward, but she knew Salman had left his childhood home, so the likelihood of encountering him was slim.

Surprisingly well-rested after just five hours of sleep, Ranya still needed a touch of makeup to conceal the year-old dark circles beneath her eyes. Donning a cute outfit and a loose dupatta, she slipped on her sandals before embarking down the familiar path—a route that once brought her joy and peace, though now it bore a different weight.

"Ranya!" Dua greeted her at the door with open arms, enveloping her best friend in a tight embrace. "I'm so happy to see you. How are you?" Concern laced her words and expression.

"I'm okay," Ranya assured her, much as she had been reassuring everyone else lately. "Can we head up to your room and talk?"

Dua nodded, leading the way up the stairs with Ranya close behind. Once within the confines of her best friend's room, Ranya finally spoke.

"You know what your parents proposed yesterday, right?" Ranya asked, taking a seat on the red velvety chair in Dua's room. Ranya adored everything about Dua's room—from the wallpaper to the vines lining her bookshelves—and found solace in its familiarity.

"Yeah, I think they're crazy for even asking you or Saad bhai. I told them it was a stupid idea. Please tell me you're not upset?" Dua pleaded, draping a pillow across her lap.

"No, no. I was just shocked, that's all," Ranya asserted. "But what do you think? What should I do?" she inquired, hoping her friend's insight would validate the decision she had made that morning.

"I think you should follow your heart. What does your heart say?" Dua urged.

Ranya paused, looking down at her palms before recalling the peace she had found in her prayer that morning. Suppressing her apprehension about making a definitive choice, she whispered,

"I think... I want to marry Saad."