8; Engaged

Normally, the mere mention of her name would cause Saad's usually busy mind to come to a complete halt. Normally, his heart would pound, sinking to the pit of his stomach as if he had swallowed something rotten. He despised hearing updates about Ranya and Salman, learning how far their relationship and wedding plans had progressed. In response to their impending nuptials, he had thrown himself into weeks of busywork, logging overtime to distract himself from thoughts of her.

Yet today, he found himself preparing to reunite with her—not as a guest at her wedding ceremonies, but as the groom. Though they hadn't spoken in ages, he had some notion of her appearance; his mother had shown him a few pictures where she lingered in the background. Nevertheless, the mere prospect of seeing her today sent shivers down his spine.

Adjusting his tie, he stole a final glance in the mirror before grabbing the bouquet he had purchased for her and joining his parents on the way to her home.

Once again at the threshold of a once-familiar house, he awaited an invitation to enter, eager to bring this day to a close.

Ranya truthfully felt no different, not having experienced such intense levels of anxiety since her practical exams. Releasing a shaky breath, she concentrated on steadying her trembling hands and holding back tears.

"Do you think I made the wrong choice? I should have just said no! I could've handled the issues later. But this? This is just insane!" Ranya rambled, her breathing growing heavier as she attempted to justify the irrational decision she had made.

"It'll all work out! You're being overly dramatic," her younger sister, Sara, rolled her eyes. "You act like you didn't spend more than half your life with him. Sure, there were a few years of no contact, but is it really that big of a deal?"

"Are you out of your mind? I'm about to marry this man. Do you even understand what that means?" she exclaimed, taken aback by her younger sister's immaturity. One would think that after gaining admission to a prestigious private high school, she would possess a bit more common sense.

"Can you two not argue right before you meet your future husband? Please? Auntie is downstairs with your little sister, and my family is here too," Dua interjected, preventing Sara from saying something disrespectful. "Sara, go downstairs. I'll bring Ranya down soon."

As soon as Sara closed the door behind her, Dua felt it was time to shake some sense into her best friend, if possible. "Ranya, I think you're overthinking. You look stunning, and I know Saad bhai is eager to see you. Remember, he agreed to this marriage first. He said yes before you did. Doesn't that count for something? What exactly are you so afraid of?"

Taking a moment to gather her thoughts, Ranya struggled to articulate her feelings, to explain why her anxiety felt more profound than just pre-wedding nerves. But all she could manage was, "I don't know..."

"Exactly. There's nothing to worry about. You look absolutely beautiful, and it's just a small gathering—just our families, minus you know who. So come on, relax and take a breath."

Feeling defeated, unable to muster any counterargument, Ranya nodded. Finally rising from the chair where she had been glued all day, she made her way into the hall. With each step, the fear in her gut seemed to swell, threatening to engulf her. It was that unsettling butterfly feeling, not the pleasant kind she used to experience around Saad, but rather the kind you get before failing an exam.

Keeping her gaze fixed on her feet, she slowly entered the living room where everyone was gathered. She clutched the side of her dress, feigning an effort to avoid tripping, when in reality, she was desperate to evade everyone's gaze, especially his.

She dared to lift her gaze for a fleeting moment, an action swiftly met with a pang of regret as her eyes locked with Saad's, who appeared to be scrutinizing her intently. To her dismay, his expression offered no hint of amusement, though how could she be certain, having barely caught his gaze for more than a second?

Saad felt no different than her, but of course he was always more brazen that her, having no issue looking at his soon to be wife. Her beauty caught him off guard; she seemed even more stunning than he recalled. Suppressing an almost audible wow, he shifted his gaze downward, attempting to rein in the fluttering of his heart. 

The entire affair passed in an uncomfortable haze for both of them. Once Ranya has settled beside him, he handed her the bouquet he'd carefully chosen, a gesture made after his conversation with her father. He made sure it was her favourite- assuming lillies still held a place in her heart.

When instructed, albeit with evident apprehension from both of them, they exchanged rings. Ranya's movements were more rushed than Saad's. her hands trembling slightly. As she slid the ring onto his finger, he stole a moment to truly appreciate her beauty. A pang of shame washed over him for starting at her so unabashedly, prompting him to quickly avert his gaze as she was quick to give him his ring. 

Finally, to their mutual satisfaction came the sign that this awful event was finally coming to a close. They would both be wrong however, as, after thousands of pictures were taken, they were ushered to the dining room for a traditional & reminiscent dinner, prolonging the evening uneasy grip on them. 

Pulling out a chair for her, Saad fulfilled the expected gesture & seated himself beside his new fiancée. This time, reminding himself sternly to resist the urge to steal glances at her, no matter how captivating her found her, no matter how much he longed to take in the years of change he has missed. 

"So Saad, it's been such a long time! What have you been up to?" Ranyas mother asked, her smile warm as she also tended to her youngest daughter. 

Saad offered a fleeting smile, setting down his form, though he hadn't taken a single bite & had merely been toying with his rice for the past few minutes. "Well, I graduated from law school a while back. Now, I'm working at a large firm." 

"Are neither of you hungry?" Sue interjected, casting a curious glance at the newly engaged couple, noting their untouched plates. They both looked up, surprised by her interruption in a conversation with an elder. "Sorry, it's just- you guys haven't touched anything?" Dua grinned, seizing the opportunity she had been eagerly awaiting. "Maybe you two should go for a walk. Have a chat?" 

Saad & Manyas eyes widened, caught off guard by her audacious suggestion. Ranya shot what felt like daggers at her best friend, her disapproval evident in her expression. 

"That's a good idea, Dua. Saad, you wanted to speak to Ranya anyway. If neither of you are hungry, why not do that now?" Her father smiled, surprising Ranya. If it were any other man, her father would never allow her to speak to him alone. 

Her eys darted between her father & fiancé, noticing Saad clenching his jaw before clearing his throat. Nodding in agreement, he turned towards her, taken aback to find her already gazing at him. 

"What do you say? Let's talk?"