14; The Morning After

Feeling cold and uncomfortable, Ranya rubbed her eyes as she rolled over to check her phone, her arm stretched out over the side of her bed towards the night table, only for it to fall flat. Confused, she focused her gaze, realizing she wasn't in her bedroom. The memories from the previous day came rushing to her mind, jolting her upright as she sat up in this unfamiliar bed, the faint sound of birds chirping outside the window, the same windows that bathed her in bright sunlight, only adding to the surreal feeling.

Pinching herself, just to be extra sure, she cautiously got out of bed. The reality of her situation hit her with each step she took toward the washroom. She needed to get ready and figure out how she was supposed to share a home with Saad.

Saad had already been up for hours, both from the stress of work, and now the added stress of his personal life. Sitting at the kitchen table, his laptop in front of him with a bowl of oats and coffee on the side, he typed away, speeding through emails and other administrative tasks. Tasks he usually put all his willpower into, tasks he found himself half-assing due to his concerns regarding Ranya and this newfound relationship they were bound to. 

Tapping his foot as he scrolled through yet another email, he waited patiently, hoping to see hew wife descend the stairs. 

Finally, after what felt like ages, he heard the soft patter of footsteps. He looked up from his screen as Ranya appeared at the bottom of the stairs, looking tentative yet determined. 

"Good morning," Saad greeted, expression stoic as ever and his voice neutral 

"Morning," Ranya replied, forcing a smile. "I guess we need to talk." 

Saad nodded, gesturing for her to sit. "I made some coffee and cut up some fruits, help yourself." 

Ranya almost beamed at the gesture, surprised he remembered the fact that she only ever ate fruits for breakfast. Her happiness was quickly tainted by his serious expression, a reminder that this gesture wasn't out of love, but respect. She poured herself a cup of coffee and sat across him. The silence between then thick with unspoken thoughts and unshed tension. 

"So," Ranya began, stirring her coffee, waiting for Saad to start unsure of where to begin herself. 

"We need to discuss how this will work, the story we're going to tell people, and what this arrangement is exactly. I know nearly nothing about you and yet we find ourselves married?" Saad started, switching between gazing at his screen and then Ranya above the rims of his glasses. 

Somewhat speechless, Ranya paused, taking a sip of her coffee to give herself a moment to calibrate. Exhaling through her nose, she put her cup down before looking at him, figuring the best place to start is by getting the obvious out of the way. "Well, I am now your wife," she began, the words coming out of her mouth feeling surreal, she continued, "legally, and Islamically, and you are my husband. So, what do you expect from me?" 

Closing his laptop, he moved it to the side, deciding this needed his undivided attention. He licked his lips, something he often did when nervous and unsure of what to do. He didn't know what to say, truth be told. Should he say what his heart wants? That he wishes they could be like a real couple? Or that he doesn't expect anything given that their relationship really only exists on paper. 

"I don't expect anything from you. You are free to do whatever you would like. I however, intend to fulfil all my duties as your husband, whether you view me as such or not." 

Once again taken aback by his statement, as well as the neutral expression he wore will saying what he did, Ranya quickly nodded, understanding exactly what this relationship was to him. Another obligation.