5; Proposal

Saad Aslam was a man of the law; a proficient worker whose dedication to his craft guaranteed his future as partner, a professional who epitomized the essence of a driven corporate lawyer. Standing tall with a poised demeanour, he exuded a bold confidence that sparked fear in anyone against him. His piercing gaze, often framed by sleek modern glasses, reflecting his unyielding determination and meticulous attention to detail.

Saad's intimidating presence extended beyond his professional life; it was ingrained in his very personality. He was a man of few words, yet each syllable dripped with authority and purpose. Those who knew him understood that beneath his stoic exterior lay a mind as sharp as a blade and a heart fiercely loyal to those he held dear.

Despite his formidable reputation, Saad was not without weakness. Behind his intimidating persona he hid his soft heart, not only from others, but himself too, drowning himself in his work so that his mind cannot afford the luxury of retrospection. Amid the chaos of his professional life, there lingered a quiet but deep longing- a yearning for someone he knew he could not attain. For as long as he could remember, Saad had been in love with Ranya. She was the embodiment of everything he desired, but her heart belonged to someone else.

His younger brother Salman.

Ingrained from youth, loyalty came to Saad naturally, even transcending matters of the heart. Driven by his unwavering moral compass, his sense of responsibility kept him from ever contacting Ranya again. He knew it wouldn't be right, not when he felt what he did.

But he found himself at a crossroads one day, in the middle of administrative tasks, he received a call from his beloved mother, the ringing shattered his concentration, bearing news that struck at the core of his being.

"Mom-" He began, "Please tell me this isn't some childish joke Salman put you up for." He pleaded, his firm voice masking the way his heart dropped at her suggestion.

"Would I make a joke like this!" His mother retorted her voice resonating through the receivers with urgency and a volume that made Saad wince. His eardrum throbbing as she continued. "This is serious! Salman called off the engagement a month before their wedding- the poor girl is devastated. I can't believe he would do this! Please say yes, you know I have always wanted her for you anyway."

"Mom- it's been years since we last spoke, she wouldn't want this. I don't want this" He lied through his teeth, the words tasting bitter on his tongue as he struggled to accept the idea of marrying his brothers fiancé. "Besides, I live in BC. She lives all the way in Ontario with you guys. It wouldn't work." He tried convincing her, knowing it was futile.

"Saad, please." She asked, her tone tinged with desperation "You know exactly what will happen to her if everyone finds out. Some people already know- frankly, I don't care what they think- but knowing these women, not a single one will let her son marry Ranya after what your idiot brother has done! Please."

He heaved a frustrated sigh, his hand moving to massage the furrows between his brows, "Alright." He relented, "But first, make sure she is okay with this- then get back to me."

Knowing what he did about Ranya, he was sure she would decline his mothers absurd offer- but a part of him hoped she would agree to the notion, the part of him he felt most guilty about. Days went on since the conversation occurred, and although it still lingered in his mind when he found the time to focus on anything other than work, little to no hope remained. Til his mother once again called, frantically, telling him to book the next flight out to Toronto so he may marry his bride.

Despite the momentary joy the almost overtook his calm and composed demeanour at work, he couldn't fail but to doubt the idea of this proposal working- even with Ranya's approval. His calculated mind thinking logistically rather than with delusion, he wondered how this could occur without disturbing his career. Yes his feelings for her were undeniable, but would it be worth it to start all over for a girl that is simply settling for him?

Every possibility, every fork in the road, every obstacle, and the likelihood of this not working seemed to consume his thoughts as he lounged at home. The usual workaholic found himself taking a break from reading, his cursor hesitating over the button that would complete the purchase of his tickets.

Still, he wanted to see her, with his eyes, for himself- rather than seeing her in the pictures his mother often sent from nostalgic yet familiar family dinners. For years he kept himself from interacting with her, going as far as deliberately avoiding her when he would visit his family every now & then. But now, a longing to finally surrender to his desires consumed him.

Most importantly, he knew he had to talk to Ranya.