15; Another Day

Having spent their first day as a real couple completely separated from each other, Ranya found herself bored. She knew she wouldn't spend much time with him, if any at all, but she hoped they'd at least talk more after their earlier conversation.

She went into this marriage hard headed, knowing she was upset with him and didn't want to get to close. But she didn't have complete silence in mind. She couldn't visit her family either, people would see her going back to her parents home, without her new husband, rumours would spread and people would be upset. Namely her mother and mother in law.

This day, she decided to take the liberty of exploring their large home, surprised Saad was renting it out all by himself. It was a colonial mansion, in a gated community surrounded by other magnificent homes. There was more than enough to explore to keep her occupied for the day. Hoping to kill some extra time, she woke up getting ready, not comfortable wearing her bare face in front of Saad.

"Morning." she greeted dryly, her lips sitting flat as she had no plans of faking a sweet personality with Saad. She couldn't like him. She didn't like him. And he had to know it.

Saad sat where he did yesterday, with the same laptop and same meal too. Eyes not wavering from that screen, he replied, just as dryly, "Good morning."

Grabbing an apple, she sat across him, this time with her phone. Aimlessly, she scrolled through different apps, her email to check what her students had been up to, instagram to see what her friends had been doing, and tiktok to see what strangers were doing. All these distractions and yet nothing could shift her focus from the discomfort she felt sitting in silence with him.

"How much is rent? We can split it." Ranya offered, thinking of anything she could to break the silence. Saad didn't even glance up at her, his eyes still focused on his screen.

"Nothing. I own it." he answered, his emotionless face barely moving as he spoke, his response leaving Ranya's eyes wide for a moment. "You don't have to worry about any of that anyway." he added.

"What? Why not?" she challenged, confused as to what he was implying. In her mind, they should be splitting the cost of living here since they're sharing the place, even if her salary isn't made for a home like this.

"Did I not say I intend to fulfil my duties as your husband? You are my wife, worrying about that isn't your job. I can handle it." He looked up at her for a second, an emotion Ranya couldn't decipher flickering over his features.

"Well no-" she began to retaliate.

But before she could even finish he interrupted, his voice adamant and firm. "I said don't worry about it." staring at his screen once again, he continued, refusing to let her get another word in, "What day exactly are you going back to work?"

The change of subject leaving Ranya even more irritated than when she woke up, "The 25th." she replied, annoyed with his attitude. It was nice of him to pay for the place, and although he is right and it is his job, he could've let her finish her sentence at least.

This was hard for Saad too. Daydreaming about reuniting with your first love, and then actually marrying her, only to have to be cold towards her. It was no easy task, not even for him.

"Okay. We have some errands to complete so I figured we'd get them out of the way before you go back to work and I get busier as well." He began, taking a sip of his coffee before shutting his laptop off. Finally. "I heard you hate your walima dress, why is that?"

"Yeah, I do. It was picked out by Salman." she answered, looking at the table rather than Saad although she could feel his pricing gaze on her. She wanted to avoid whatever pitiful glance she assumed he would send her way.