Day One

As I open my duffle bag, I excitedly pull out a small red circle of material. Unzipping the sides, I watch in awe as the tent magically pops out and lands gracefully on the forest floor. I begin to set up the tent, carefully fastening it to the earth beneath me. The crisp forest air fills my lungs as I work.

Once the tent is securely in place, I cover the window to stop the drafts from getting in. I carefully lay down my sleeping sack at the far end of the tent, creating a comfortable haven for rest and relaxation. Beside it, I neatly stack my folded clothes and two books. I decided to bring both as I was nearly done the crime one and knew I'd want another once I'm done.

Adding a touch of warmth and comfort, I place a small light-up night light in the shape of a sphere on top of my books. Its soft glow casts a gentle ambience within the tent, creating a soothing atmosphere for reflection. Then I took out my see-through art case, and my materials were all scattered within and placed it beside my books.

I noticed Julia observing my every move, her curiosity piqued by the unfolding scene. She brings her own sleeping sack, a dark shade of grey with black stitching, and places it on the other side of the tent, closest to the entrance.

"Since when did you learn to do that?" She asked. I couldn't tell if It actually was a question, however, as her tone remained blank and cold.

"Mhm, I went camping once as a kid," I replied, sitting down on my sack.

She raised a brow with a grin? I'm not too sure.

Sitting down on hers, she lay back and groaned. "The fucking ground us hard" she complained.

I hummed in agreement, reached into my bag and pulled out a thick blanket.

Handing it to her sheepishly she cautiously took it from my grasp.

"Thanks" she muttered as if embarrassed. Placing it under her she sighed deeply.

"Being stuck with you for four weeks will be torture".

"Mhm...".

Finnleigh and I decided to stay in touch, I knew it'd be hard judging by the zero WiFi but I guess I already assumed that'd it be a chance. I came prepared.

Dad bought me this old chunky phone when I was a kid. The first time I went camping.
He had his reasons to buy me it.

It wasn't experience but nor was it cheap. I'm pretty sure that phones' main target was old people who can't work smartphones, but I did hear of a couple of kids who had them instead of like an iPhone or Android.

The phone was about the size of the palm of my hand. It came in a bulky black case and a string at the end to hold.

The phone itself has less of a variety of apps like a phone you or I would have now.

It had the phone app. You were only allowed to have five numbers. Camera, however you couldn't take photos of others only selfies, you'd have to turn the phone around and press the timer as you couldn't just take a photo, you'd have to wait ten seconds.

There was a gallery app too to look back on your photos, as well as a torch app and one game. The game itself was pretty boring as a kid. However, now, I love it. They don't have the game available on my smartphone or any of my friend's phones. Red ball was the name. I'm sure they have new red baulk games, but this, this was the original. A sketched out 2D animation, two buttons, left and right. To jump, you'd have to hit to camera twice. There was also messages too but it was a hit or miss app.

The best thing that this phone had was that it didn't operate on WiFi. There was so much to connect to any WiFi as it couldn't.

I got Finnleigh to type his number into my phone before I left. Now, having dad's, Tyla, and the police. Four whole numbers. I did have mom's, too, but I deleted that ages ago.