Chapter 8

Flaro wondered down the hallways and pulled her silk black gloves back up to her elbows sighing, she was so bored. Within a few minutes, she found herself outside a door with lit torches either side of it. She'd never seen this door before, and couldn't even remember how she came across it. She looked behind her to see if someone was nearby and picked up the key hanging from the wall hook. She unlocked the door and slowly pushed it open. It creaked loudly for a second before it opened the rest of the way silently. She gasped and closed the door behind her, cells lined the walls and cowering people hid at the back of their cages, scared to be seen. She was in the dungeons! Flaro held up her hands, "Don't be afraid, I won't hurt you." She said softly.
A little girl slowly walked forward, "Who are you?" She asked, her voice wavering with fear. Flaro walked over slowly to show the young girl she meant no harm, "My name is Flaro." She said softly, sitting in front of the cell, "What's your name?"
The girl looked back to her mother for guidance. She nodded and the girl looked back to Flaro, "Star." She replied.
Star had blonde, almost white, hair and bright blue Light One eyes. Every prisoner here in fact was a Light One! Flaro felt bile rise up the back of her throat, 'How dare he treat them like this, what had they ever done to him?' Flaro blinked her thoughts away and looked back at the small child, smiling kindly, "Nice to meet you Star." She said, holding out her hand. Star nervously shook it and looked at her, "Why are you marrying that mean man?" She asked curiously.
Flaro sighed and lent back against the cell bars, "So, word spreads quickly here huh?" She mumbled before answering Star's question, "If it was my choice, I wouldn't be. I'm doing this to protect my family."
Star's eyes showed sympathy, "That's why we're here to. Slash is forcing my father to work from him, if he disobeys, then one of us get punished in server ways." She said quietly.
Flaro glared over to the stone stairs, "What does he want to prove? That he's an insane freak?"
"Seems like it." Another prisoner replied. It was a grown man, his wife by his side. And she looked starved. Flaro looked around to realise most prisoners were in the same position, some so bad, they barely had the energy to talk. Flaro got to her feet and brushed down her dress, "Enough is enough. I'll come back after I know everyone in the palace is sleeping. And I'll bring some food and water with me."
"You really will?" Star asked.
Flaro took her hand and squeezed it softly, "Yes. I'll come back at 10pm sharp. I swear."
"But what if you're caught? What will Slash do to you?" An elderly woman asked.
Flaro waved her hand carelessly, "What can he do? Why would he try to kill the woman his forcing into marriage just to keep himself on the throne? I'll be fine." She then grinned at Star, "And if he does try anything, I'll just set his butt on fire."
Star giggled hard along with other children. Flaro grinned, she had to admit the thought of Slash running around trying to put out the flames on his rear and jumping into a fountain was pretty funny. She giggled slightly before letting Star's hand go, "I'll come back soon ok?"
"Ok. You won't forget?" She asked.
Flaro shook her head, "No way. And I won't forget the food and water. And I definitely won't get caught." She grinned. She waved to them and they returned her gesture before she disappeared. As she turned the corner from the hallway leading to the door to the dungeons, she crashed into a ridged and muscular body. She looked up to see Slash glaring at her, "Where have you been? What are you doing down here?"
"Sightseeing. Got a problem?" She asked sarcastically, crossing her arms and scowling at him. Slash growled and gripped her left wrist dragging her closer, "Yes, I do have a problem. You are not to go down this hallway. EVER! Do you understand me?!" He yelled. Flaro made her wrist sizzle once again, making the silk glove melt and Slash yank his hand away, his palm scorched once more. Flaro poked his chest, "You don't tell me what to do! If you really think you're the boss of me, you can kiss my ass! Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to continue my walk." She said sternly, sweeping gracefully passed a stunned Slash. He watched her go in surprise, usually when he yells at women, they cower. But Flaro paid no such attention. He smirked, 'One day you will know who is in charge. Even if I have to drain every last drop of fire out of you.'