-CHAPTER 1-

VALERIA

Photographers outside snap pictures of celebrities as they pose on the red carpet. Inside the ballroom, a diversity of all kinds of celebrities are mingling together. The atmosphere is filled with excitement as conversations and laughter can be heard from every corner of the room.

I refill my tray with drinks and move around the room, offering them to the guests. As you've probably guessed, I'm not a guest. I'm just a caterer, putting on a respectful smile as I pretend to like serving these privileged people. I hate my job, but the salary helps provide for my family.

I have two younger siblings who are twins, and I'm their sole guardian. I'm the only family they have left, so they count on me, and I'm not about to let them down. I made a promise to care for them with my life the day Mom died.

Suddenly, my eyes fall on two people I'd rather avoid. Every time we run into each other, they make it their mission to make my life miserable. Especially when I was in high school. I shudder, thinking about it.

First, there's Rebecca Nina Mathew, with her golden blonde hair, deep brown eyes, and smooth, fair skin. Physically, she's stunning, but her personality is another story-truly dreadful. Next to her is her sister, Sylvera Andrea Mathew, with white blonde hair, steel gray eyes that everyone envies, and a cute heart-shaped face. Truly beautiful, but more on the cute side. Compared to her sister, she's not that bad, but sometimes I can't help but think she's acting. She's mimicking her sister for some reason, but then again, I could be giving her too much credit. I shrug mentally.

I turn my back to hoping they don't recognize me when the ballroom doors swing open, and a loud announcement echoes welcoming the members of the Kane family. The Kane are the richest family in the country, or at least they were until a few years ago, but they're still very influential.

A man in his forties walks in the room arm in arm with a woman. His copper hair has streaks of gray, and his brown eyes contain such dominance. He wears a smile on his face, softening his rough features. This man is William Kane.

Beside him was a beautiful woman with lustrous brown hair and almond-shaped eyes twinkling in the light. She wears a long red gown that hugs her curves, and the deep V-cut neckline accentuates her figure with a slit on the side. She has an angelic smile, but her eyes show deceit and arrogance. She is Adelia Kane, the wife of William Kane.

Behind them, there is a young woman with copper hair and almond-shaped eyes, which already proves who she is. She wears a black off-shoulder dress that exposes her shoulders with floral patterns at the hem. She is their daughter, Georgia Jade Kane.

As they gracefully descend the stairs, people are captivated by their elegance. Photographers and paparazzi prepare their cameras and microphones for pictures and interviews. Meanwhile, the caterers refill their trays and approach them, hoping to get their attention, but I already know it's futile. Such people don't care about waiters; we are below in everything. Money, power, jewelry, houses, cars, and even their food are above ours.

Mr. Kane strides to the stage and clears his throat before starting his speech: "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I'd like to thank you for attending this event despite your busy schedules. We are here to celebrate the return of my son, who I haven't seen for over a decade." His voice is as rough as his looks.

"I'm certain many of you are curious as to the reason I sent him abroad. I knew one day he would take care of the company, but I wanted to see the humble aspects of life. I wanted him to enjoy his childhood before shouldering so many responsibilities. And I knew I wouldn't be able to accomplish it here, so I made the decision to send him abroad, and during his time there, he lived a good life and gained experience from various individuals."