-CHAPTER 4-

VALERIA

Turning off the engine, I buckle off, and get out of the car. The twins carry their bags full of sea shells they collected at the beach earlier while yawning, and rubbing their eyes. They are tired. I grab the empty picnic basket, and the last bag then close the door.

Once we are in front of the apartment door, I retrieve the key from my bag, and open the door. I switch on the light of the living room, while twin remove their shoes, and head to the bathroom for a shower. As they're showering, I unpack everything, load the dishwasher, throw the clothes including the bikinis in the washing machine, and arrange their toys.

In the bathroom, I help them wash their hair to remove all the sand from the beach. I wet Mira's hair, apply shampoo, scrub, and rinse. Then I apply shampoo again, scrub once more, and rinse. I finally apply the conditioner, massage her scalp for a few seconds before rinsing her hair.

I repeat the same process with Maïra, and put a towel on their heads. While they go put on their pj's, I grab hair oil, the hairdryer, a hairbrush, and some hair ties. I plug in the hairdryer, and they each take their turns as I dry, and throw their hair into a lose bun. Once I'm done, I put everything in its place.

"Val, can we watch TV for a bit before going to bed?" Maïra pleads.

"No, it's time for both of you to go to sleep," I refuse.

"Please," Mira asks with a small pout. "Only 20 minutes, and we will go to bed."

They both plead, showing me their puppy eyes, and it takes everything in me to refuse, but in the end, "Fine, only 20 minutes."

"Thank you, Val," they both hug me before returning to the couch to turn on the TV.

I walk in the bathroom, and when I close the door, I hear the sound from the TV in the living room. I'm gonna let them sleep late only because it's summer, and they don't have to go to school yet.

Stripping, I step in the shower, and sigh as the water falls on my skin. I've had a long day, it was great, bittersweet, and especially nerve-wracking when I unexpectedly met him on the beach.

After showering, I slip on my pj's, and dry my hair. When I go back in the living room, I find the twins asleep on the couch with the TV still playing on.

I turn off the TV, and carry Mira to her room. I tuck her in bed, and kiss her forehead. As I'm about to leave, something catches my hand, and I turn to find Mira wide awake.

"What's wrong, sweetie?" I ask softly, sitting down next to her.

"I'm sorry for how I acted today," She answers, sounding regretful. She must be talking about what happened at the beach.

"It's fine. You're all forgiven now," I say, caressing her hair.

"I'm really sorry, Val," she apologizes again. Since Mira is the older twin, she always feels like Maïra is her responsibility, and this sense of responsibility makes her a bit more mature than other kids. She knows when she's wrong, and makes sure to always apologize.

"It's okay. I know you're just being protective, but promise me one thing," I hold her hands. They're still as soft as they were when she was a baby. She nods.

"Promise me that you won't be untrustful of everyone. You must remember that not everyone is not bad. Okay, sweetie?" I point my pinky finger towards her.

She hooks her finger with mine, "I promise, Val."

I smile at her, and she smiles back. I lay her down, and arrange her pillow, making sure she's comfortable.