-CHAPTER 17-

VALERIA

When I arrive at work, I first get scolded by my boss for being absent at work, and he gives me a warning before going back to his office. Frankly, with all the times that I've been absent at work I'm wondering how I haven't gotten fired yet, but I should be thankful for that.

With the help of my colleagues, we load the truck, and drive to the venue where the banquet will take place. As caterers, we are in charged of placing the tables, arranging the dishes, and utensils while the cooks will make the food.

For the next part of the plan, it's really easy. All I have to do is hide the speaker in the corner of the ballroom, and Mr. Xaiden will take care of the rest. I carefully place the speaker in the hidden corner, making sure that it's well hidden behind the curtain. No one should be able to see it.

"Valeria! What are you doing?" One of my colleagues, Layla, asks, and my heart suddenly speeds up as I try to come up with an excuse. She gives me a suspicious look, and I smile sheepishly, "It's nothing. I thought I saw a stain on the curtain so I was just checking but it turns out it was my imagination."

She stiffly nods, and goes away to help out another caterer. I sigh in relief after she leaves. I'm glad I didn't get caught or it would have been difficult for me to explain the point of doing all this.

Time goes by, and at 6 p.m., I get off work, and decide to go to the hospital to see Alison. On the way there, I stop in front of a bakery to get her some pastries; some cream puffs, croissant, and macarons. I hope she will love them, and I should probably take some for the twins. They have a huge sweet tooth.

After buying the pastries, I drive to the hospital, and walk down the hallway to Alison's room. I knock on the door, and I open it after hearing a small "come in" from her.

She's laying on the bed, and the bandage on her head has been removed. The bruises are still prominent, but compared to yesterday, they seem to have healed somewhat. And her eyes doesn't look so dead anymore, but it will probably take some time before her joy of living returns to her.

"Hey, Alison! How are you?" I greet as I sit down on the chair next to the bed.

Her lips curve up and she greets me back, "Good evening, Valeria! I'm good, but I could be better."

"You will be healed, and back on your feet very soon so don't worry." I say, "Here, I got you some pastries."

Her eyes light up when she sees what's in the bag, and she squeals cheerfully, "Thank you! I was so tired of eating hospital food. It tasted like grass mixed with medicine."

I chuckle at her remark, and I smile as she savors the pastries. I'm glad that even something as unimportant as pastries can still bring her some happiness. We don't always need big things when we want to be happy, some little things like rain or food can still bring us a source of happiness, and delight.

"Can I ask you a question?" I ask, and she nods, her mouth full of cream puff.

"Do you think you will be able to face McGregor, and not back down?"

She wipes the cream on her, "To be honest, I do feel scared, and I'm not sure if I will ever be able to look him in the eyes without feeling as though he was still caging me, but I don't want to let those thoughts in my mind. Because if I do, I'll sink again, and right now, I'm barely floating."

"What about you? Are you ready to face your own past?" She looks deeply into my eyes, and it's as if she knows all about me, as if she knows what I've been through, how much I suffered, and how much I'm still suffering, but just ignoring it as to not face it.