-CHAPTER 26-

XAIDEN

It's afternoon, and I'm currently in my home office doing some work. Things have been going pretty well in the company lately, but the atmosphere is a bit tense between the board members. I don't know what happened, but I think it has to do with McGregor's death. Also, there are still some things amiss in the company documents. I'm still investigating and hopefully, I'll find out what is missing out of the picture soon.

My phone suddenly rings, and I answer without looking at the name of the caller, "Here's Xaiden, what do you need?"

"Sir," I hear the voice of one of my men. It's Carter. He's the driver who was supposed to drive Alison to her family.

He groans painfully then says, "We were attacked."

Before I even get the chance to say something, I hear a gunshot and a cracking sound before the call cuts off. Panicked, I immediately track their locations and I alert my other men.

"Damon, it's an emergency. I need you and the men to be at the bridge before the outskirts of the city right now. Alison's car has been attacked," and with that, I hang up and take my vest.

"Where are you going?" Valeria asks when she sees me hurriedly leaving the penthouse.

In a rushed tone, I answer, "Alison's car got attacked. I need to go."

When I grab my keys, she says, "I'll go with you, let me go wear my shoes."

Before I can stop her, she runs upstairs and I sigh exasperatedly. I already know that I can't convince her to stay so it's best to let her come with me. Seconds later, she's back downstairs with a jacket, and gun in her back pocket.

I nod approvingly at that, and we leave the penthouse. Jumping in the car, I immediately press the accelerator and we're off to go. Nothing goes through my head as I speed recklessly through the roads. I'm probably going to get the a speed ticket after this, but who cares? Someone is in danger right now so nothing else should matter.

The world outside blurs through my view as I increase the speed. Cars behind me are honking at me, some drivers are even rudely calling me out, but I ignore them. Through my rear view, I see a black car following us, and I know that it's Damon and the men following close behind us.

45 minutes later, I arrive near the bridge, and park my car nearby, but make sure to stay out of sight. I don't want to alert the enemy of my arrival. Stepping out of the car, the trees sway as a violent breeze glides by.

I gaze around, and it's strangely silent. I can't even hear the sound of the birds chirping. I hear a rustling in the trees, and without a second thought, I take out my gun and shoot. A man screams as he falls from the tree.

We walk towards him and I see that he's still alive. He's clutching his bleeding shoulders as he groans in pain.

He glares at me, "You came too late. It was fun to see their car roll upside down as she screamed in fear."

He laughs out loud as if it's a joke. His laugh makes me clench my fingers around the gun. I clutch it so tight that a vein pops out.

Just when I'm about to shoot him, Valeria stops me.

"What are you doing? Let me just end him."

"Wait, let me just ask him a question." She answers then turn to the bleeding man.

"How much were you paid for this?" She asks, her usual soft blue eyes are now like daggers made out of ice. I almost feel a shiver down my spine. Keynote, almost.

"More than you'd ever earn if you worked your whole life," He yells, his breath ragged and heavy. He's losing more, and more blood.

In a fit of anger, Valeria does something unexpected. She punches the man square in the face. The punch is so strong that I even hear a cracking sound. The man groans painfully as he holds his crooked and broken nose. Valeria doesn't stop there. She kicks the man on the head. His face twists on the side as he spits out blood. His face is bloody, and almost turning purple at this point.