-CHAPTER 9-

VALERIA

It's been 2 hours since the party started, and it's been great. It's the first time since I started this job that I'm enjoying it. I ignore the obnoxious people, not letting them ruin my good mood. I leave my worries at home, and savor every seconds of this moment.

I place a glass of wine in front of this very nice old lady, and give her a genuine smile which is really unusual because at parties like this, I get so annoyed that all I can muster are polite smiles as to not offend the guests. But tonight, it's different. I don't feel annoyed or irritated, I don't feel angry, or feel like giving those spoiled brats a lesson. I'm just calm, and a little happy.

I bow at the nice old lady before leaving to continue my job. There are so many influential people here tonight,  and I recognize quite a few of them.

I walk towards the bar to get some drinks only to bump into someone. Great! This just had to happen today.

I look up to apologize, but I find myself staring into familiar black eyes. Those black eyes that used to haunt me both in my sleep, and in my daily life before. I recognize those freckles spread all over his nose, those light pink lips that used to make fake promises, those golden brown hair that I used to run my hands through, those wide shoulders I used to hold onto when he would carry me on his back, and that smile that used to bring me comfort in my hard times.

It's him. It's Elliot Orleans, the guy that broke my trust, and brought me down so many times with the help of his brother. Why is he here? Please, don't tell me they're back. They can't come back now.

Tears gather in my eyes, but I don't let them fall. I can't let him see my weak side again, not after he broke me, and left me with just a shell of who I used to be.

"Elliot," I whisper his name. This is the first time I utter his name after 5 years.

His eyes widen as he recognizes me, "R-ria!" He stutters out that nickname that used to warm my heart, and it brings back some memories I'd rather forget.

"Eli!" I happily yell his name from the other side of the field. We were playing hide n' seek, and even though that game was for kids, it was our favorite game.

I was hidding behind the corn field, and he was the one seeking me. It had been already more than 20 minutes since I was hiding, and he still hadn't found me so I decided to come out of my hiding spot.

His black eyes lit up when he spotted me, and he ran to me. "Where were you, Ria?"

I loved it when he called me by that nickname. It made me feel like a different person, not the girl who had too much problems, and tragedies in her life. Hearing that nickname always made me feel like a normal person with a normal life.

"I was here all this time, and you still couldn't find me," I giggled. "You're so bad at this game."

"It's not my fault. You hid too well so how was I supposed to find you?" He grumbled which made me giggle even more.

"Just accept defeat. I won," I sang, giving him a teasing smile.

"You did not win. Let's restart the game," he said, and I shook my head.

"I already won."

Without warning, he started tickling me, and we fell on the grass. I laughed out loud as he kept tickling me.

"Will you restart the game or do you want me to keep tickling you?"

"Fine. Let's restart," I said, not wanting to be tickled any longer. He can be so childish sometimes, but this was exactly what I needed in my life.