-CHAPTER 11-

VALERIA

In the evening after discussing with Mr. Xaiden, I tell what happened to Sylvera during dinner so that she can prepare herself.

"So you're saying that you saved Mr. Xaiden's life, and now you are in danger because you're a witness to the assassination?" She asks as if she can't believe it, but she has to because it's nothing, but the truth.

"Yes, and the one responsible for the attack is William Kane," I tell her.

"Why does he want to kill his son?" She asks, and I shrug. I don't know what kind of family feud they have, but it must be something extremely serious.

After dinner, I get the twins ready for bed, and they watch Moana in the living room with Sylvera while I take a bath. Stripping, I step in the bath, and sigh as the hot water lifts off the tension from my muscles. I close my eyes, and it suddenly feels like I'm drowning.

We were sitting under the oak tree, and the twins were drinking their milk while Mom was eating a sandwich. She had dark circles under her eyes from working all night, but her eyes were glimmering as she looked at the twins.

We were having a picnic in the park, and it was a bright sunny fall day. The leaves were falling on the ground, the air was chilly, and people were chilling in the park.

"Kira," Mom's soft voice pulled me out of my thoughts. Kira is my middle name, and she preferred to call me Kira instead of Valeria.

"Yes, Mom," I answer.

"Are you having fun?" She smiled at me, and warmth spread in my heart. Even though she didn't smile all the way through, I could still tell that she was happy. Depression was really getting to her, and I hoped that it wouldn't erase that smile off her face.

Dad really broke her, and I hated him for doing that. Even though we weren't the perfect family, I still hoped that my family would stay together, and be united, but he broke that dream. Anger burned through my heart, but I didn't let it show on my face.

"Yes, Mom. It's so peaceful," I smiled, not wanting to ruin the serene atmosphere.

She kissed my forehead, and it calmed down my silent furry. The rest of of the day was spent playing, chatting, and singing our hearts out.

My eyes flash open, and I take in a deep breath. I remember that day was the last time Mom smiled so brightly, but after that day, she grew duller, and duller until all she could do was fake a smile so that I wouldn't worry, but I worried 24/7 until the moment she took her last breath.

Mom used to be my strength, the one who would calm me down, and cared for me like no other. Now, I feel so lonely without her, but I'm still okay, the twins are with me, and I have Sylvera too.

I get out of the bath, and rinse off before putting on my pj's. When I arrive in the living room, they are still watching Moana, and it's on the scene where Moana finds Maui.

I sit on the couch next to Sylvera, and watch the movie with them. When it's almost the end of the movie, the twins fall asleep, and we put them in bed.

"Goodnight," I whisper to Sylvera as I turn off the lights.

"Goodnight," she whispers back.

I yawn as I lay on my bed. Today has been a long a day, and all I want to do is sleep, but I won't. I can't trust myself to sleep, and not scream in the middle of the night due to nightmares. I don't want to worry the twins again, they have worried enough about me in the last few days.

Time ticks by, and at around 2 a.m., I'm still fighting sleep, and wide awake. I feel thirsty so I get off bed to go to the kitchen. In the kitchen, just as open my waterbottle, the sound of gunshot goes off as a bullet flies through the kitchen, and into the coffee mug on the counter, instantly breaking it.