chapter 30

She couldn't help feeling a little sentimental as the island came into view, the town Nami thought she wouldn't see till their journey was over, or perhaps never again. Cocoyashi, the town where she was raised, the town filled with people who had pretended to hate her because they truly loved her that dearly. It looked no different than the day she'd left, actually probably even better considering Arlong wasn't sucking them all dry of every berry they had.

She saw the people gathering at the docks recognising many of them instantly "Genzo!" Nami yelled, practically falling off the side of the ship as she waved, she soon spotted Nojiko bobbing through the crowd. She felt her crew behind her, some waving to ward off the tension that comes with a pirate landing, Nami didn't think they needed to worry but she appreciated it. Seeing as this was basically a meeting between her family and her made family, the family that was gifted to her by bellemere, and the one she'd earned through blood and sweat.

She felt his warm arm wrap around her waist, Luffy yelled too, "Old dude!" Nami smiled at him softly, noting the spark in his eyes as he looked over her family. He was happy to see them, the people he'd freed, the people who lived safely because of his influence. Nami leaned into his side, wrapping her hand around his waist as well, as she pushed up on her toes to kiss Luffy's cheek. Nami heard a ruckus from the dock but she was a little preoccupied with straightening out Luffy's cardigan which he'd finally started wearing again.

Luffy was mostly healed up now, all that was left now was to get back to where he was physically. He'd definitely lost some weight since this whole fiasco began, Nami wasn't complaining however. Her usual relaxing on the deck now came with entertainment, Luffy sweating as he worked out after scoffing himself for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. After a couple of days he was starting to look more himself, he'd filled out again, each muscle filled to the brim with thinly veiled power.

She was proud to bring Luffy before them, the Luffy that was whole once again. The Sunny docked and Nami made her way down, instantly imbibed by the crowd as she was whipped around, questions and greetings firing from all angles. She tried her best to answer their questions and return the energy of their hearty welcome.

She was overwhelmed for lack of a better word, but it was nice, seeing them all. Happy, healthy, and thriving, what she'd wanted for them all for so long. "NAMI WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!" She heard Genzo's voice thunder above the crowd, it was the first time in her life that she'd heard him yell like that and been utterly overjoyed to hear it.

A voice that had scolded her as a child now filled her with familial warmth, Nami's heart pounded in her chest, she was home. Nami's hand was engulfed seeing as Luffy grabbed it with his own, coming to stand at her side as the villagers fussed around them. Nami watched as Genzo pushed to the front of the pack and noted their conjoined hands.

"LET GO OF NAMI RIGHT NOW PERVERT!" Genzo shouted pointing his finger indignantly. Nami looked to Luffy, he looked unfazed, but he was undoubtedly enjoying the rambunctious atmosphere. He suited such places, full of vitality and shenanigans.

"Why?" Luffy asked, his head tilting to the side curiously. It was moments like these that Luffy's childishness really came to the forefront, Nami could practically hear Genzo's blood boiling.

"Nami can mess around with a band of pirates, go sail the world, anything for all I care. BUT SHE WILL NOT BE CANOODLING WITH A PIRATE, NO WAY!" Genzo argued, before folding his arms with a huff, he had spoken, his orders were clear. Though, Nami was a little confused as to why he thought he had any say in who she 'canoodled' with.

"But she is a pirate," Luffy said, his other hand coming to his face to rub his chin, he was enjoying riling up Genzo, that was for certain.

"That doesn't mean anything, she can stop and return home at any time! Unlike you, your face is pasted on the front of every damn newspaper recently!" Genzo reasoned, throwing his hands in the air dramatically before getting closer and point right at the bridge of Luffy's nose. Any other pirate would be inclined to severe said finger with his teeth, Luffy barely even blinked.