Chapter 66.

••••

Part 66. : Attempt to kill

••••

••••

August, 1536
Hampton Court

It's been nearly a three months since the wedding and the days for Madeline were almost the same. Every day, she would attend early morning mass, break for feast with her Ladies-in-waiting and then she would spend her day with women from the court or Lady Mary or her sister-in-law Margaret.

In the evening, she would dine with Henry, bathe and then Henry would come into their bed and they would have sex.

Henry would take her anytime he could. After all he was doing everything in his power to give her his seed and impregnate his young wife. But to their sorrow, mainly Madeline's, she was not pregnant. And deep down Madeline felt herself become uncer intense pressure to give Henry a child.

The young Queen voiced her concerns about this with her best friend Jane and her sister in-law Margaret.

It was Margaret that mentioned to monitor all that Madeline was eating and drinking, as she, herself caught a maid slipping a concoction into her drink several nights after coming back from Portugal married to Charles. Only because that maid was jealous that she was married to Charles.

When caught, the maid made a pledge of love and devotion to her Lord, Charles Brandon, even insulted whole Brandon family.

Naturally, the maid was arrested, found guilty of treason towards her Lord and employer and was exiled to a ship set to explore to the New World to work of her sentence and never to return.

~~~~

Margaret, Jane and Lucia spent the next few days observing the comings and goings of the Queen's servants, twice they spotted some maids insulting Madeline as the 'Spanish whore that bewitched the King from his one true wife, Anne Boleyn,' but none of them tempered with Madeline's food or drink.

~~~~

Untill, Madeline returned from another afternoon spend with her husband, the King, one of the chambermaids, known as Alicent, quickly handed Madeline a cup of tea. One that Jane quickly smacked away from Madeline.

When word reached the King, he immediately had a warrant out for the Alicent's arrested. She was immediately sent to the Tower to await for her trial. Her belongings were searched, led by Madeline's brother, where they found several vials of herbs and could be easily blended into someone's drink as the liquid itself was translucent, odourless and tasteless.