Chapter 36

In his eyes, there was the pure white fire, warm yet searing.

Suddenly, a distant memory surged, accompanied by thunder and torrential rain.

He remembered the Vikings had no intention of taking him to Engervik; they were only after his money. He had fought them on the ship for what seemed like ages, only to be thrown into the sea eventually. He had thought that would be the end of him. But when he woke up on the shore, Engervik's land lay beneath his feet.

It was a moment when dreams came true. As he woke up on the beach, the sun before him felt both warm and scorching.

...

The fireworks illuminated the dark space. Lloyd gripped his staff-sword, the blade already halfway through, ready to pierce Sabo's heart. But at the final moment, Sabo caught the blade with his four arms from different angles. He could only ignite Sabo's chest but couldn't completely burn out his insides.

"Mr. Holmes, did you consume the secret blood to kill people like me?" Lloyd's grim face reflected in Sabo's eyes, his dark tattoos resembling entwined serpents on his skin, his gray-blue eyes shining.

"So, you don't mind turning into something like a monster to fight against monsters?" Sabo smirked unpleasantly. Then his four arms forcefully pushed Lloyd away. The hooked ends of his limbs swiftly moved along the rock wall, then disappeared into the darkness. Lloyd landed on a wooden stake, gripping his sword and spear.

"So, Mr. Holmes, will you eventually kill yourself one day?" A sarcastic voice echoed from the surrounding darkness, making it impossible for Lloyd to determine the exact direction due to the hollows in the rock wall.

"This is secret blood given to me by a doctor; he said it's from the Order." The image of the plague doctor gradually surfaced in Lloyd's mind, as eerie and terrifying as his mysterious mentor.

"The Order was one of the earliest groups to fight against monsters. They pursued noble ideals and hunted the creatures of darkness in the name of the gods. Even in death, they insisted on plunging silver-cast weapons into the monsters' hearts. They were truly devout believers. It makes me want to cry..." A sharp bone blade came from a corner of the darkness. Lloyd immediately swung his staff-sword to effortlessly sever it, his gaze scanning the darkness vigilantly.

"So what? Sabo, the secret blood no longer exists. Who is that doctor?" Lloyd questioned sharply, his anger evident in his tone, knowing more than Sabo did.

People are greedy; fishermen hunted whales for combustible whale oil, while the Orders extracted things that shouldn't exist from the bodies of monsters. That was the source of all evil, and those who fought against monsters ultimately became monsters themselves.

"It's the Order's mistake. It's power you can't control!" Sabo retorted.

"So, you can control it?" As Sabo's piercing roar rang out, specks of light from the exploding bullets hit Sabo. The blinding white flames not only inflicted damage in the darkness but also allowed Lloyd to see Sabo's position.

The twisted demon tore through the water curtain with flames, its completely transformed body continually approaching, wielding blades and bone spurs, clashing like iron against iron. In the darkness, it was like shooting stars, emitting brief flashes of light.

"You have no idea what you're doing. That's Pandora's box, filled only with calamity!" Lloyd fired his shotgun continuously, maintaining distance from Sabo, until they were at a safe distance.

"Mr. Holmes, I thought you could understand me." Sabo's hand, covered in mucus and scars, gently touched the huge wound on his abdomen. There were no organs, only wriggling flesh and blood, which were still healing... or rather, barbarically growing and proliferating without restraint.