Chapter 145

As Merlin had foretold, Lloyd soon found himself confined within a cage of iron.

To be more precise, it was less a cage and more a heavily guarded interrogation room. Between Lloyd and Merlin stood an electrified iron barrier. The air was thick with the scent of blood, making it clear that this was no ordinary place.

A peculiar silence settled between them, lasting until Arthur arrived, reuniting the trio. This time, however, Lloyd was bound to an iron bed. Mechanisms whirred as the bed slowly folded, allowing Lloyd to sit upright.

"So, why are you so nervous, Merlin?" Lloyd asked, his irritation mounting from the series of relentless events.

"You'll find out soon enough, Mr. Holmes," Merlin replied, nodding to Arthur. The two of them sat across from Lloyd, embodying the demeanor of those willing to confess only if absolutely necessary.

"Well then..."

"Mr. Holmes, could you describe your experience within the ancient god armor? In detail," Merlin asked, his question cutting straight to the heart of the matter, as if he knew more than he let on.

"The experience with the god armor? I entered it and lost consciousness," Lloyd replied curtly. This involved Watson, the mysterious pseudo-Holy Grail, and Lloyd wasn't sure how the Purification Mechanism would react if they learned these details. They might treat him like a lab rat.

"Please recall carefully. You are the only known case to fall unconscious without losing control. This is a highly unique occurrence," Merlin insisted.

Lloyd remained silent, cautious about revealing any information regarding Watson, the pseudo-Holy Grail. This was a treacherous matter.

"Let's change the topic then," Merlin said, noting Lloyd's silence without pressing further. Instead, he approached from another angle.

"Are you familiar with alchemy?"

"Alchemy?" Lloyd was puzzled by the sudden change of subject. If there was any craft considered the most arcane in the world, it was alchemy—a force said to connect humans with spirits.

Seeing Lloyd's hesitation, Merlin continued. "Alchemy... it can be seen as the precursor to modern chemistry. During its inception, humanity's productive capabilities were far less advanced than today. Simply forging an iron sword was a monumental task. So, alchemy began as a form of metallurgy."

Merlin spoke with an air of mystique. "Understanding a substance, decomposing it, and then reconstituting it... elevating base metals into noble ones, transcending the mundane."

"This technique evolved over time, laying the foundation for the occult. Many strange and bizarre phenomena are, in some way, connected to alchemy."

Merlin shifted the conversation again. "Do you know why alchemy has gradually disappeared from the world?"

"Disappeared?" Lloyd's thoughts were stirred. Though the signs had been there, the clarity of it struck now—this dominant mystical art was quietly fading away.

"Yes, the Purification Mechanism is undergoing an update. Alchemy-related technologies are being phased out, replaced by newer technologies. While these may not be as efficient as alchemy, they are sufficient to sustain the entire operation of the Purification Mechanism in our current industrial era," Merlin explained. As the last alchemist of Old Dunling, he appeared remarkably calm, almost indifferent.

"Do you know how alchemy has been preserved?" The alchemist continued his explanation.

"Modern scholars love to share knowledge, fostering camaraderie and building institutions. But alchemists are different. Each alchemist pursues the ultimate in alchemy—the Philosopher's Stone, the Elixir of Life, terms that barely capture the ethereal essence they seek. Their pursuit is a 'spiritual transcendence'," Merlin elaborated.