Chapter 87

Although Lloyd was known as a lone detective, his charm with women was far greater than anyone imagined. His past as a "mistress terminator" had introduced him to many noblewomen. Through Lloyd, these women, who had been hurt by men, formed a small group. They held Lloyd in high regard, considering him a rare ally in Old Donlyn.

Over the six years of his career, Lloyd had met people from various walks of life. However, because most of his clients were connected to Barlow, many of these people met unfortunate ends or fled overseas. But the girl in front of him was different—she was one of his few, very special clients.

"I told you, if you ever come, remind me beforehand, okay?" Lloyd pulled the shower curtain tighter and wrapped himself in a towel.

Did you think she was Eve? No, no, with a demon hunter's senses, few could escape Lloyd's detection. If it were Eve, he would have noticed immediately. But there were exceptions, like her. Her presence was so minimal that unless she intentionally made herself known, even Lloyd found it hard to notice her.

"So, what's up this time? Lost your cat? Or some strange request? My fees are steep." Lloyd stepped out, still wrapped in the towel. The girl stared at him, her clear blue eyes reflecting his awkwardness. Even a demon hunter unflinching in the face of monsters felt a twinge of embarrassment.

"No, just passing by. I heard you were hired by the Suarland Hall. Congratulations on finally getting a proper job." She opened a bottle of wine with a crisp pop.

"Minors aren't allowed to drink," Lloyd said, taking the bottle and placing it on the windowsill, where he often liked to sit and drink.

"Here." Lloyd handed her a piece of paper from the counter with something written on it.

"This is my account number. If you really want to celebrate, transfer some money."

The girl's icy expression softened slightly. This was the somewhat eccentric Lloyd she knew. Everything seemed normal.

"That straightforward? Do you want me to support you?"

"If you wanted to, you'd be in line. Though you're barely passable, I'm quite popular among the 'Saturday Housewives'." The 'Saturday Housewives' was a group of noblewomen who had bonded through Lloyd. They usually gathered on Saturdays to vent about their husbands but were fond of Lloyd, even considering him their mascot.

Actually, Lloyd was tempted by their offer, but seeing their outlandish costumes, he had firmly declined.

"By the way, how did you get in here, Salyu?" Lloyd suddenly asked. Given Mrs. Van Luth's temperament, she wouldn't let strangers in easily. His work was sensitive, and despite his clean handling, there were always those with sharp noses who might track him down.

"Simple, I became friends with Mrs. Van Luth." Salyu faced Lloyd, her clear eyes making him uneasy.

"That cranky old lady?"

"Yes, you taught me, Lloyd, that becoming friends can solve many problems." Looking at her, Lloyd realized it had been a while since he last saw her. He wrapped the towel tighter and sat by the window.

"Tell me, befriending that old lady is no easy task." It felt like a test, a teacher examining his student, and they seemed somewhat alike.

"Elderly, living alone, no relatives. Such old ladies often wish for a grandchild, right?" Salyu gestured to her slender, graceful figure.

Lloyd nodded. He had taught her that sometimes one's body could be a powerful tool.

"And then? What did you do to enchant that old lady?" Lloyd was curious about what Salyu had learned in their time apart.

"Make her happy, that's all. Isn't that what you taught me? Use what the other person desires to deceive them. She craves affection, so give her affection. Even if she senses something amiss, she'll accept it because it's what she wants."

Salyu's eyes glimmered like sapphires. Lloyd had once said her eyes had a magical quality, easily piercing through to one's heart. Indeed, she was the sharpest child he'd ever met. In front of her, everyone's defenses crumbled.

"Winning an old lady's trust like that is quite ruthless," Lloyd acknowledged her skill but still questioned her methods.

"Isn't it a fair trade? Although it's based on deception, the care she receives is genuine." Salyu's voice remained cold. Lloyd was used to her being like this, as if she were an ice block.

"I actually wanted to check on you, considering you've become an external investigator for Suarland Hall. Hard to imagine what you've been through."

"Is it that unbelievable for me to have a proper job?" Lloyd snapped, but Salyu fell silent, her blue eyes locking onto his, making him feel dizzy.

He quickly shook off the feeling, his voice tinged with irritation. "Salyu, we agreed, not everyone wants their thoughts read."

"I was just curious about what you've been through lately." Her voice was still emotionless. This girl rarely showed her emotions, much like her enchanting eyes. She was the most perceptive person Lloyd had ever met, a true detective.

Just as Lloyd was about to say more, the screech of tires on the pavement made him turn his head. A black car had pulled up in front of 121A Cork Street.

"I guess you weren't just passing by, were you?" Lloyd felt a pang of frustration. He could deceive many, but she was one of the few who could match him.

For the first time, a slight expression crossed Salyu's frosty face—perhaps an attempt at an apologetic look. She stuck her tongue out slightly, trying to appear cute, but to Lloyd, it felt like mockery.

The car door opened, and a group of men in black suits forcefully entered the building. Lloyd, initially stunned, quickly shoved Salyu into the wardrobe and jumped back into the bathtub.

Just as Lloyd settled into the tub, the door was flung open, and the small room was suddenly filled with people.

"Mr. Holmes?" An old butler entered slowly, glaring at Lloyd in the bathtub.

"What's the matter, Yave?" Lloyd turned his head, managing a polite, albeit awkward, smile.

This might be Lloyd's most embarrassing day. Surrounded by gun-toting men while soaking in the tub, he suddenly empathized with the Marquis of Barov, whom he'd once held at gunpoint in a bath. Was this karma?

The butler named Yave said nothing, pulling a chair over and sitting in front of Lloyd. He stared at Lloyd silently, like a lion sizing up its prey.

After a long silence, Lloyd tried to break the tension. "So... has your lady, Miss Stuart, snuck out again?"