Chapter 151

"Lloyd!"

Arthur's voice echoed, but Lloyd's vision was blurred. He couldn't see Arthur clearly.

"I'm fine..."

He replied, his steps unsteady.

"I just... need a moment to calm down..."

His mind was filled with a searing pain, fragmented memories flashing before his eyes. The dark armor pieces fell off one by one, clattering to the ground.

...

Lloyd couldn't quite remember how he emerged from the shadowy underground. He stood beneath a dim, overcast sky, the towering structures of Old Dunling piercing the heavens like ancient forest giants, blocking out all light.

The cold air rushed into his nostrils, clearing his head a bit, but the throbbing pain in his mind continued to torment him. Arthur was dealing with the aftermath of the Perpetual Pump, an incident more severe than the appearance of Prelate Lawrence. The Perpetual Pump had never been so damaged since its establishment, alerting everyone.

"So, that damned project is postponed?"

Feeling somewhat better, he turned to Merlin, who had escorted him from the Perpetual Pump. Merlin's face was calm but hid a simmering anger.

"Yes, we need to bolster security and make repairs... You can take a short break, Mr. Holmes," Merlin said. "And we owe you thanks. Without you, the cost would have been much greater."

Lloyd didn't care for Merlin's gratitude, his gaze vacant.

"Really... Merlin, do you know about the 'Gap'?"

Merlin frowned slightly at Lloyd's question.

"Why do you ask?"

"I need information on it."

Lloyd panted slightly. Seeing him like this, Merlin didn't ask further, only said softly, "This is a good start, Mr. Holmes."

"What?"

"I mean, you're learning to ask for help. It's a good sign."

Merlin looked up at the gloomy sky, as if talking to himself. "Humans are social creatures, after all. One person alone is always weak."

"It's strange hearing that from you."

Lloyd glanced at Merlin, the enigmatic alchemist whose soulless eyes lent an air of mystery to every word he spoke.

"The project's start will be notified to you. And if you find anything new about the demons, let us know."

Now they were true allies, united against the mysterious Prelate Lawrence.

"Right..."

Lloyd coughed violently, looking unwell.

"Are you injured?"

Seeing Lloyd's condition, Merlin asked with concern. After slaying the demon, Lloyd had insisted on leaving, unlike his usual self, as if he was afraid of something.

"How could I not be injured? But I'm a demon hunter. As long as it's not fatal, I can survive."

It was unclear if he was self-mocking or confident. Though he retained human form, Lloyd knew he was no longer entirely human, able to endure what normal humans could not.

Seeing this, Merlin respected Lloyd's wishes.

"Goodbye then, Mr. Holmes."

He waved as a train approached from the industrial district, ready to take Lloyd away from this fortified bastion.