Chapter 154

"The rise of the Stuart family can be traced back to the Glorious War, but in more detail, it began with the succession of a bastard son."

Yawen opened the heavy, ancient tome. This nameless book chronicled the history of the Stuart family. Its pages were yellowed and the handwriting varied, suggesting it was written by different authors across different eras.

"Back then, the Gaulnalors launched an unannounced attack, advancing south and besieging Stuart Castle. At that time, it was defended by Michel Stuart."

The legend of the Stuart family began at that very moment.

"The old earl, worn out by years of battle, died within the castle. But before his death, he passed the title to his son, Navis Stuart... The story continues as everyone knows: the Stuarts surged forward, defeating one formidable enemy after another."

Yawen coughed a few times, perhaps disturbed by the dust of history as he continued to recount the tale in the somewhat eerie atmosphere.

Outside, the cold wind howled, while the fire in the fireplace burned quietly, casting a warm glow on the listeners. It was the perfect setting for storytelling.

"Yet, like many stories, it wasn't all smooth sailing. In fact, after Navis inherited the earldom, the Stuart family encountered an enemy."

"Baskerville?"

Lloyd, reclining on the sofa, suddenly recalled this family. They were also southern nobility but had faded into history during the Glorious War, only mentioned in historical texts. What grudge did the Baskervilles hold against the Stuarts?

"Yes, it's an old story, so ancient that even the library books don't record it. And I hope you won't disclose this to the outside world."

Yawen warned. The history within great families often differed from that known to the outside world. If one were to peruse their books, one would find many unspeakable secrets and scandals.

"It all began with Earl Michel. The Stuart family was not prolific. In Michel's generation, he was the last Stuart, and he remained unmarried throughout his life, leaving no heirs. According to the laws of inheritance, most of his assets would go to his only nephew, Madel Baskerville, after his death."

"Let me guess, that distant nephew must have treated the old earl as if he were his own father."

Lloyd laughed, mocking the hypocrisy of the noble system. Marriage alliances were the best way to form bonds, and thus the nobles of Inlwig were more or less related. Once the old earl died, the Stuart family would vanish from history, and he would be the biggest beneficiary.

"Indeed, during the old earl's lifetime, Madel stayed by his side. But when the Gaulnalors besieged the castle, he led the knights to flee, abandoning the people and the old earl."

Yawen's clouded eyes reflected the historical text, condemning Madel's actions.

"He thought the old earl's death would secure everything for him, but the old earl, before dying, passed the title to his son, Navis."

"Wait, wasn't he unmarried for life?"

Lloyd interrupted. So who was this sudden heir?

"Please be patient, will you?"

Yawen was displeased with Lloyd's interruption.

"It is indeed a point of contention, but Navis had the earl's signed documents and will, his name was on the family tree, and there were many other proofs. The old earl even wrote letters about Navis's origins."

Those letters were both casual and solemn.

"The letters stated that Navis Stuart was his son with a maid."