Six

I pushed open the door to the astronomy tower, my guitar in hand. I ascended the stairs, all while my heart beat a million miles a minute.

At the top, George was leaning against the railing, looking out over Hogwarts grounds. At the sound of my ascend, he turned around and offered a smile.

"It's fucking beautiful up here at night." he said, gesturing to the view before focusing on the guitar in my hand. "Nice. You brought it."

"I'm not playing for you." I said, and he cocked an eyebrow in response. "I haven't played in a while."

"How long is a while?" he asked, taking a seat on the floor of the balcony, and slowly I walked over to join him.

"Since I was thirteen? Fourteen maybe."

"And why haven't you been playing? I mean, you bought a guitar so you obviously want to."

"I didn't buy it." I said, swallowing harshly.
"My foster dad did."

"...and you don't get along with your foster dad?"

"You could say that."

I felt George's eyes on the side of my face as he studied me, and when his eyes dropped to my covered neck, I knew he was putting the pieces together. When his eyes widened, I knew exactly what he was thinking.

"No." I shook my head, putting down the guitar. "Don't make assumptions. Please don't..."

"He's the one who's been hurting you." he stated. "Let me see your neck."

"No, George—"

"Let me see it." he demanded, and after a moment of staring at each other, I reluctantly undid the scarf around my neck, revealing the blue and purple bruises left by Mr O'Malley's hands.

George's lips parted but nothing came out. He stared at my neck, raising one hand to gently touch it, and I flinched away from his touch.

"You've got to report this."

"I can't." I said immediately, staring down at the scarf in my hands.

"Yes you can. You have to report it, Aurora."

"He's Finn's dad." I said weakly. "I don't want to be the one to get in the way of their relationship."

He let out a huff of air. "His dad is the one getting in the way of their relationship, by doing this shit to you. He needs to be reported and thrown in Azkaban for putting his hands on you."

"It wouldn't hold up anyway." I said. "By the time we'd show up in court, the bruises will have gone and I'd have no evidence. Even with the bruises, I can't prove that he's the one who did it. It could be anyone. It could be myself."

"That's bullshit."

I looked at him, hating the anger in his voice, as if he actually cared about me. I didn't like when people got angry. It made me all uncomfortable.

"Promise me you won't tell anyone."

"Aurora—"

"Promise me, George." I demanded. "I don't want anyone to know. I don't want it getting back to Finn."

"Fine." he swallowed, looking away. "I won't tell a soul. If... you get out of that house and come live with my family."

"What?" I sighed heavily. "It doesn't work like that. The court demanded—"

"You're seventeen. You're of age. You have the right to make your own choices so you don't have to stay there anymore."

"And what would I tell Finn and his mother?"