Twenty-three

We arrived at the cabin in the Death Valley, a small wooden structure hidden deep within the dense forest. As we approached, the air was thick with anticipation and fear.

George and Fred moved ahead, wands at the ready, scanning the area for any signs of movement. The cabin appeared untouched, almost abandoned, its windows dark and the door slightly ajar.

"Stay behind us." George whispered, his voice tense with worry. "We don't know what we're walking into."

I nodded, my heart pounding in my chest as I followed closely behind, Molly and Mrs O'Malley right behind me. Fred nudged the door open with his wand, the hinges creaking ominously in the stillness. We stepped inside the interior dimly lit by the setting sun filtering through the trees outside.

The cabin was small, with a single room that served as both living space and bedroom. The furniture was old and covered in dust, untouched for years. A quick glance revealed no signs of recent activity, no makeshift crib, no baby blankets. My heart sank.

"She's not here." I whispered, the despair in my voice echoing in the empty cabin.

George and Fred immediately began searching through the cabin, opening drawers, looking under furniture, and checking every corner. Molly and Mrs O'Malley joined in, their faces set with determination. I stood in the middle of the room, feeling utterly helpless.

"He must have taken her somewhere else." George said, frustration evident in his voice as he slammed a drawer shut. "But where?"

Fred examined the walls, looking for any hidden compartments or clues. "Maybe he left something behind, a clue about where he's taken her."

I felt a surge of anger and desperation. "We have to find her, George. We can't let him get away with this."

George wrapped his arms around me, holding me tightly. "We will, Ro. We'll find her. We'll search every inch of this forest if we have to."

But as the minutes dragged on and the search yielded no results, the weight of our situation pressed down on me. I needed air, space to clear my head and fight back the rising tide of panic.

"I need to step outside for a moment." I murmured, pulling away from George's embrace.

He looked at me with concern but nodded. "Don't go far. We'll keep searching in here."

I stepped out into the cool evening air, taking deep breaths to steady myself. The forest was eerily quiet, the stillness amplifying my racing thoughts. How could this be happening? How could our baby be gone?

Suddenly, a rustling noise behind me made me turn around. Before I could react, a pair of strong arms grabbed me, pulling me into the shadows. I tried to scream, but a hand clamped over my mouth, muffling the sound. Panic surged through me as I struggled, by my captor was too strong.

"Hello, Aurora." a chillingly familiar voice whispered in my ear. "Did you really think I'd let you have a happy ending when you ruined my life?"

Christopher O'Malley. The man who had tormented me for years had now taken my daughter— and me.

I fought harder, kicking and twisting, but he held me tightly, dragging me further into the forest. My mind raced with fear and anger. I had to get back to George, had to find a way to escape and save my daughter.

But as the darkness of the forest enveloped us, hope seemed to slip further away with every step.

When I regained consciousness, the first thing I noticed was the cold. The damp, biting chill of the basement floor seeped into my bones, making me shiver uncontrollably. My head throbbed with pain, and it took a moment for my eyes to adjust tot he dim light filtering through a small, grimy window high on the wall.