Fifteen

George arrived at Angelina's house within the hour. His face was a mixture of worry and determination as he stepped inside, greeted by Angie and her mother. Mrs Johnson, ever the professional, offered him a reassuring smile and a glass of water before directing him to where I was sitting in the living room, my hands fidgeting nervously.

When George walked in, our eyes met and for a moment, the world seemed to pause. He quickly crossed the room and knelt beside me, taking my hands in his. His touch was grounding, a lifeline in the storm of my emotions.

"Hey." he said softly, his eyes searching mine. "I'm here.""George," I began, my voice trembling. "I'm so sorry. I don't know how this happened."

He squeezed my hands, his expression softening. "It's okay, Ro. We'll figure this out together. What's important is that you're not alone in this."

Angie and her mother discreetly left the room, giving us some privacy. I took a deep breath, trying to steady myself. "There's something else." I said, my voice barely a whisper. "Something I'm terrified to even think about."

"What is it?" he asked gently, his brow furrowing with concern.

I looked down at our intertwined hands, my throat tightening. "I'm scared that this baby might not be yours. It could be... his."

George's grip on my hands tightened slightly, his face going pale as he realised what I was implying. "You mean... your foster dad?"

I nodded, unable to meet his gaze. "I'm so scared, George. I don't know how to handle this. What if it's his? What if..."

He interrupted me, lifting my chin so I had to look at him "Aurora, we'll deal with whatever happens. Right now, we need to focus on getting through this together. We'll figure out the rest when we get there."

"But what if..." I started to say, but George shook his head.

"No 'what ifs' right now" he said firmly. "We'll take things one step at a time. First, we need to make sure you're okay. Have you seen a doctor yet?"

I shook my head. "No, not yet. I just took the tests today."

"Okay." he said, taking charge. "First thing tomorrow, we'll go see a doctor. We need to make sure everything is okay with you and the baby. After that, we'll talk about our options and figure out what to do next."

His calm, practical approach helped me steady my nerves a bit. "Thank you, Georgie." I whispered, tears streaming down my face. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me close. "You don't have to thank me. We're in this together, remember?"

Just then, Angie walked back in, her face full of concern. "Is everything okay?" she asked.

I nodded, pulling away from George slightly. "Yeah. George is here, and we're going to figure this out."

"Good." Angie said, her eyes flickering between the two of us. "You're not alone, Aurora. You've got us."

Mrs Johnson returned with a small, knowing smile. "I've made an appointment with a colleague of mine for tomorrow morning." she said. "She's one of the best obstetricians around. She'll take care of you."

"Thank you so much." I said, my voice full of gratitude.

Mrs Johnson nodded. "It's no trouble at all. Now, why don't you both get some rest? Tomorrow's going to be a big day."

George stayed the night, with Mrs Johnson setting up a spare room for him. Before heading to bed, George and I sat together in the living room, talking quietly about our plans. Despite the overwhelming fear and uncertainty, having him by my side made everything a little more bearable.