wildflower, wildfire

Summary: Since Desire's interference in your relationship with Morpheus, things have been going very well for the two of you. Yet you can't deny the aching worry in your heart that you'd end up like his other lovers. When you begin to question your place in Dream's realm, it appears that Desire is trying to interfere once more.

Entering through the back doors of the Palace, you sighed, stretching your arms over your head. Your dress was unwrinkled and your feet, while bare, showed no signs of where you'd been, such was the magic of the Dreaming. You had spent most of the day in the gardens among the flowers, and while you greatly enjoyed the work, you always felt sleepy by the end of the day. Morpheus may not need to sleep, but you were not originally from the realm. Though not human, your body still required some sort of rest to maintain function. However, you never liked going to sleep without seeing your partner.

As Morpheus would likely be busy for a while longer, you made your way to the library, bare feet padding through the castle quietly until you arrived at the familiar door. You often came by at least once a day, picking up or dropping off books and chatting with Lucienne.

"Lucienne?" You called, voice traveling through the long halls with books from floor to ceiling.

"Up here!" You heard her faint voice from above, and ascended the stairs to find her. When you finally found her, she was pulling books off a particular shelf into a stack on the floor, likely going through a certain topic and re-arranging.

"Do you need any help?"

"No, no, my Lady, I'm quite alright. There is, in fact, a method to all of this."

"I can well believe that," you smiled. "And stop calling me 'my lady!' You know that is a title I do not possess."

"Perhaps one day," she smirked. "I know you are still worried that he is not sincere, but I promise you, it is different this time."

"I hope you're right. I just couldn't bear for him to one day regret it, yet live amongst those in his realm that call me their lady. There have been others before me, there may be more after."

As much as you loved Morpheus, and as much as he seemed to love you now, fear remained in your heart that you would be like the others. Even Queen Titania, who ruled over the fae and the nymphs, was rumored to have had a brief and tumultuous affair with the King of the Dreaming. And yet, people had begun to call you "my lady," and as it went on, you started gently correcting them, not wanting to take a position that was not truly yours.

"I would never lie to you, y/n. If I say it is different, I mean it. For all of the loyalty I have to my King, I'd never see you hurt. If I had doubts, I'd tell you."

"I know," you assured her. "I trust you whole-heartedly, dear Lucienne."

"I am glad you're here, as there have been plenty of new books appearing in the non-fiction section regarding the effects of deforestation and pollution on the greater environment of the waking world. Seems like you've been making some progress."

"I am just happy Morpheus lets me interfere in the dreams sometimes," you laughed, elated that you were successful in turning attention towards mother earth. "It's a slow process, influencing the waking world. Seeing any improvement is exciting."

"Y/n!"  Matthew cawed from somewhere nearby, and as you and Lucienne looked up, you spotted the black raven hurling toward you. You quickly stepped to the side, and he crashed into the bookshelf next to Lucienne instead of you, causing the pile Lucienne had been making to fall. "Y/n- OW!"

"Matthew," she scolded. "What have I told you about being careful in the library!"

"Sorry- sorry," he spoke, shuttering slightly as he righted his wings. "It was an emergency! Morpheus wanted me to warn you that Desire has been spotted in the Dreaming. He has gone to look for them now!"