Chapter 9 (Part 1)

We are having our P.E. period now. And I'm so happy that we will be focusing to badminton for this whole school year. This will be so easy for me because if you remember, I'm the champion in different badminton competitions.

We are now all inside the gym to practice badminton. But I feel so uncomfortable with my attire now. Actually, most of the girls here, including me, feel so awkward in our attires. Ang iksi kasi at sobrang fit ng shorts namin. Sobrang mabubulgar ang aming legs. Hindi kasi ako masyadong sanay gumamit ng ganitong shorts kahit sa mga contest na sinasalihan ko. Buti nalang at may pagkaLoose yung t-shirt namin.

"Ms. Cruz, do you still need this lesson? I'm sure that this will be so easy for you. You can perfect it in just a snap." Biro ng aming P.E. teacher. He is my coach in every contest that I joined in field of badminton, kaya we're close.

"That will be unfair to them, sir!" Sabay tawa ko.

I'm so thankful that this will be our last period for this day because I can go home and rest already. I was assigned by Mr. Rivera to teach my classmates the basic movements and rules in this sport. He told me that if they all learn, he will perfect my grade to his subject even if I won't join the finals of our practice.

I was already teaching my classmates, when suddenly my phone rang. Kanina pa yun tumutunog but I'm still busy to answer it. I look at my phone and find out that Anastasia was the one who's calling me since earlier. Why would she call? Is she already at home? Naka 32 missed calls na siya kaya ako na mismo ang tumawag sa kanya.

"Hello Stasia, Why did you call?" I asked.

"Ate! Pumunta ka ngayon ng hospital. Sinugod si mommy. I'll text you the address." Umiiyak siya at parang natataranta.

I ended the call and I almost break down. Nakatulala lang ako.

Lumapit sakin si Xander and he asked me, "What happened?" He's so worried.

"I need to go to the hospital. Emergency lang." I said and walked fast.

Mr. Rivera heard it, so I believe that he will let me.

"I'll drive. Just tell me the address." Nagmamadali din siya sa paghabol sakin.

I gave him the address of the hospital.

Pagpasok ko sa hospital, I saw my sister really worried and she's obviously waiting for me.

"A-ate, Si mommy," Hindi niya matapos-tapos ang kanyang sasabihin dahil humahagulgol siya.

"Where is she?!" Agad kaming nagtungo sa kwarto ni mommy and waited for the doctor who's inside her room.

Pagkalabas na pagkalabas ng doktor, agad kaming lumapit ni Anastasia.

"Are you the family of the patient?"

"We're her daughters. How is she?" Kinakabahan ako sa magiging sagot ng doktor pero hindi ko yun pinapahalata. I need to stay calm and strong for my sister.

"I'm sorry to say, but her condition is worst. She has stage 4 Leukemia. In her condition now, she can't be treated. All the symptoms, ngayon lang lumabas. Kung noon pa sana ito nalaman, maaari pa sana itong maagapan. I'm sorry." After she said that, she left.

Buhos ng buhos lahat ng luha ko. I can't move. I want to shout, I want to breakdown. But the one thing that I really want, is my mom to stay alive. I don't know if I can be strong without my mom. All those years, she's always by our side. And now, pati siya mawawala na rin? I don't know what to do.

Pumasok ako sa kwarto ni mama and saw that she was still sleeping. Ang putla-putla ng mukha niya ngayon. She looks so tired. Hinihimas ko yung kamay niya when she suddenly woke up.

"Ma," I tried hard to smile to her but I know that I can't hide the pain that was killing me inside.

"Anak," Nakangiti niyang sabi. "Pasensiya na ha? Nakasagabal pa ako sa inyo." Nag aalala niyang sabi.

"Ma, bakit ka naman magiging sagabal? We love you so much, that's why we're here for you." I tried to smile again to her.

"Anak, ngayon alam kong alam nyo na yung sakit ko. I'm sorry ha? Hindi na kayo masusubaybayan ni mama while you're growing. Hindi ko na kayo machicheer everytime you'll join a contest, hindi ko na kayo mapagluluto, hindi ko na kayo maaalagaan. Hindi na kasi pwedeng maextend yung life ni mama eh." Nakangiti pa rin niyang sabi pero tumutulo na rin ang kanyang luha.

"Ma naman. Don't speak like that. You won't leave us diba? Please stay." Stasia begged.

"Anak, even though I wanted to stay for the both of you, hindi naman pwede eh. I am not the one who'll decide if I'll die or live eh. Basta pag nawala ako, take care of each other, okay? Please?" Pakiusap ni mommy.

"Yes mom. I'll do everything for Stasia. Magtutulungan kami. I promise." Sagot ko habang tumutulo ang aking mga luha.

"Anak, one more thing. Please forgive your dad. Kasi ako, matagal ko na siyang napatawad."

"You know that's hard mom. But I'll try. Maybe not this time. I'm not ready yet. I'll forget first all the pains that he caused us." Pilit ang ngiti ko.

"I love you both. Babantayan ko kayo lagi kahit wala na ako." Sabi ni mom.

"We love you so so much, mom." Sabay naming sagot habang nakahawak ng mahigpit sa kamay niya at hinalikan namin siya sa noo.

After we did that, she closed her eyes at bumitiw yung pagkahawak niya sa mga kamay namin.

I know. Alam ko na yun na ang huling pag-uusap namin sa mommy ko. At ang sakit-sakit isipin nun.