I

PART I - 'Love OR Hate?'

Y

That glowing sphere above the clouds, through the summer breeze and down towards the soothing atmosphere around me.

It was a work of art.

The scenery near the ocean,

It was the place in my heart.

That place where I have lost my most precious memory yet making me feel loved and cherished inside.

Then, from the afar, it was as though a pair of warm hands were reaching out to me, gently patting me lovingly on the back.

This familiar touch...?

It felt like a hug from my father.

Although I couldn't be very sure,

Because the last hug I have ever received from him was 13 years ago.

-

The ocean wasn't exactly far from where I have lived my entire childhood.

A fifteen minute walk, perhaps...?

Striding through the pathways that led to the tiny lane towards the last street, it was that same feeling in my heart, as though I had returned to my first love.

Where the story of my life was written most originally,

At the very far end of the last street,

And across the mounds,

My beloved home.

Jeju-do, that unforgettable smell of my hometown, where the shadow of my mother's love was the reason for my existence till this day.

Walking past the antiquated streets with a slight feeling of excitement down my heart, it reminded me of how my mother used to bring me around the place for window shopping every weekend.

It was always that same spot, same time and most probably, the same day.

Nevertheless, it was never boring. At least, it was the clasp of my mother's hand that brought me up all by herself for these 13 years.

Mother...

It's your beloved daughter.

Mom,

Yeri has come home!!

-

The tiny cottage at the top of the hill where the sunset could be seen every evening at 5.53pm was the home of my life.

Peeking from a far distance at the bottom of the hill, the balcony was visible from the exterior of my room, where I have always stood there and admired the large figures that live below the ocean level.

Whales,

How magical they are...

As I gently unlocked the wooden gate of the house, a slight feeling of uncertainty was creeping around me.

It felt as though something coincidental would happen in any minute, though I was unsure about the strange thought I had in mind.

Should I...

Surprise Mother...?

I giggled joyously and crept slowly into the cottage and walked towards the kitchen where the smell of cooking was visibly filling through the air.

It was a different aroma, something special yet unfamiliar.

Cheese pasta...?

It was rather strange for the appearance of cheese inside the house. More specifically, it was me who couldn't eat cheese from the start.

But why...?

Mother would NEVER cook cheese...

Is it because I have yet to tell her about my return?

Holding the anxious feeling down my heart, I gulped heavily while pushing the kitchen door open and slowly approaching the figure inside.

"Mother!!-" I ran and hugged the figure tightly from behind while covering my nose to avoid the smell.

"Tcsk, get off me, idiot,"

This voice-

"Are you a monkey? Don't you know it's rude to interrupt others when they're cooking?" The figure pushed me away and wiped his apron while showing me a disgusted look.

"Not mentioning how dense you were to just hug a random stranger," He scoffed and ignored me while continuing grating his cheese.

"...

Who are you...?" I asked as I walked closer towards him to grab his attention.

"Why are you in my house...?" I continued as he remained to pretend to see nobody.

"Hey,

I'm sorry for ruining your time and touching you without your permission... But I didn't mean to-"

"Can you just shut up and go away?"

He gave me a death stare as I nodded slightly while feeling a little ache inside me.

Tcsk,

Rude.

"Can I know why you're here, at least?" I asked again as he sighed and threw me an irritated look.

"Tcsk, yo-"

"Yeri?!"

It was a familiar voice that rang through my eardrums, filling up the ache in my heart with love.

"Mother!!" I ran towards her and gave her a big hug while ensuring that I didn't mistake somebody again.

"Yeri-ah... why didn't you tell me that you were returning today?" She combed my hair with her fingers while sobbing gently.

"Mother... I missed you..."

"Don't steal my line away," She chuckled while wiping her tears away and hugged me again.

It was a reunion after three months since the day I left home for a research project in Seoul.

"Have you been doing well, my daughter?" I nodded several times while slowly realising how the room didn't belong to just the two of us.

He stood at the side of the kitchen door and stared gloomily at our actions while looking away immediately when our eyes met.

"Mother, who is he...?" I let go of the hug and pointed towards him, who was avoiding our glances.

"Who...?" Mother followed my pointing direction as I watched her face brighten when she noticed his figure.

"A transfer student from Seattle,

Jay Park,"

-

Thank you for reading 'Whale Tale' Chapter I!! ✨

A vote and some comments will make my dayyy :p

Chapter update: every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9.30pm KST