XXIX

PART III - 'Charybdis Island'

J

[Snap!]

I wanted to act as though I didn't hear my name being called by a voice I had somehow found pretty familiar with, and the fact that I had just realised I really wasn't alone on the island.

But I had just stupidly stepped on a tree branch that mimicked a loud snapping sound through the forest, as I shut my eyes tightly and prayed that the person couldn't hear it.

"Perhaps he's too deaf to have heard it?" was the joke I had thought of to calm my racing heart down.

It was beating so, so quickly that I had almost felt as though I would lose it in an instance and most probably faint on the spot.

"Jay,"

The person called once more as I opened my eyes and gulped heavily, focusing my mind onto listening to the soft footsteps that seemed to be approaching closer and closer.

"Jay, come on out,"

Then, I had finally come to my senses.

I turned my head around to look at the figure, my eyes widened together with my mouth that formed a large 'O' shape, as I stared at the man in front of me with my most bewildered expression.

No wonder he sounded familiar.

-

"Tired, I'm sure you are. No worries, we'll get there soon,"

My mouth was still shut as tight as it could ever be, as I only listened to the man talking and followed him behind to his 'shelter' that he claimed to be much warmer and cosier than my spot at the beach.

"Relax, I'm not a threat,"

The man chuckled warmingly as I only continued to stare at him while following him from behind, slowly leaving a few steps in between us to keep a small distance.

He looks f*cking familiar.

I took a glance at him once again while observing his figure, noticing that he was only an ordinary middle aged man in his early fifties that seemed really friendly even at first glance.

So friendly till the point he had most definitely reminded me of a certain 'somebody special' who gave off just the exact same aura as the man did.

Who is he, really?

I kept silent throughout the entire walk towards his tiny hut in the middle of the forest and had only nodded my head whenever he asked a question, or rather, closed ended questions to suit me.

"Well, come inside and take a seat," The man smiled warmly as he pointed towards the wooden chairs in the living room.

I nodded my head slowly and watched as he went over to the kitchen and poured me a cup of tea.

How'd he get tea in this damn place?

"Now, I know you must be curious about many things,"

I lifted my head and looked up at the man who gave me the warmest smile, my lips unconsciously curved into a similar one in return.

For any weird reasons at all, I had felt a sense of ease whenever I looked at the man who always only smiled at me.

Why am I feeling this way?

It almost always reminded me of her.

"Don't you find me just a little familiar at all?" The man asked with another smile.