XXXVI

Part IV - 'Our Whale Tale'

J

"They should be here soon, right?" Mr. Jeon questioned as I nodded my head in response while looking through the hut for the last time.

"Today is the end of everything..." I mumbled without realising as the man nodded after listening to my words.

I turned to look at him, his smile was much radiant under the sunlight today as he started whistling while tidying up his belongings from the hut.

Damn,

It's no wonder he's happy.

Afterall,

He's finally going back home after 13 years.

We walked past the forest and arrived at the beach, where the sounds of the waves crashing upon the shore came mixing together with the songs of the seagulls.

I lifted my head to look at the sun burning effortlessly as we settled down on the chalk white sand, both staring far into the ocean, its sparkling blue water sending us a refreshing salty scent.

There it is.

That magical animal.

At the very far end of the ocean was the tip of a whale's tail that was fairly visible above the sealine, as the mammal began to hum in a magical tune that drew a smile across my face.

"I like whales." was the only thought in my head as I glanced through the clear seawater.

No.

That's not right.

"I love whales."

That's better.

"May I ask why?"

My body flinched upon hearing Mr. Jeon's question as I was taken aback, not realising I had spoken my thoughts out loud.

"Well..." I had begun to speak, yet my head was stuck in hesitation, having no words to make out.

It was as though I knew the answer, but only wasn't sure if it was better I had stayed silent than letting him know the truth in my head.

"Because they are magnificent,"

I answered reluctantly and looked at him, only receiving a hum as a response.

"Because they are mysterious,"

The man hummed again as he began to chuckle, making me flustered upon my embarrassing answers.

He knew it.

He knew they weren't the real answers.

"Don't they remind you of something else?" Mr. Jeon asked as he smiled at me, my gaze gently softening before I knew who I had in mind to answer him.

I waited and waited, my mouth eventually opening again, this time being ready to reveal the truth to him, the truth as to why I love the ocean.

"Because..."

I lifted my face to look him in the eye, my lips trembling as my cheeks had started heating up.

It was difficult to say it to him.

The father of my lover.

The man that raised her.

"Because... they reminded me of-"

[Hong] [Hong]

The loud rumbling sounds had indicated the arrival of the rescue team as we both sprang to our feets at the same time, rushing over to the ship with bright smiles hanging over our faces.