XXVIII

PART III - 'Charybdis Island'

J

"

Day 32

It's been approximately a month since I've been here, perhaps?

There's not much to do, honestly.

I've decided to only do a few things a day.

The same ones at that, too.

Every new day was nothing but a routine to me.

I would wake up early in the morning to the sounds of the waves,

Feeling lonely,

As I would watch the tide recede and the seagulls approaching the shore.

Then,

I would take a stroll through the island forest,

Hoping I wouldn't encounter any creatures that live deep in there.

I honestly have no idea if they would kill me though.

In fact, I just knew that most of them were carnivorous beasts,

Considering how deadly their killings sound every night.

"

I let go of the pencil in my hand as I sighed and looked straight at the breathtaking view of the ocean in front of me, my eyes blinking along with the rhythms of the waves crashing upon the shore.

Then, my body had started trembling out of nowhere but this was not the first time. In fact, the trembling happens every once in a while whenever I start to think about how I was left to stay here on this humanless island.

I'm scared.

Looking all around me, I had realised since the beginning that I was completely surrounded by all the unfamiliar bits of nature, the forest, and the island itself.

It almost seemed as though I was destined to be here, engulfed by all these strange phenomena and the fact that even the supposedly 'earth creatures' here seemed rather peculiar, even when I had only discovered their existence from their howling in the night.

I hate this.

I hate everything here.

It was obvious that I had no reason to be here, and that I had no reason to like being here or even to like the things here.

It was everything, except for one.

Of course,

It's the ocean.

It was the ocean that kept me the promise of living all this time and till this day.

It was the ocean that reminded me of the beautiful moments I have once experienced in this world.

It was the ocean that simply evoked my sense of survival, the only thing that would keep my heart beating lively just like this.

No,

It wasn't a 'thing'.

How fascinating the ocean had meant to me, having not realised it till the day I had been abandoned in this isle without a single fragment of her.

Yes.

It was indeed a 'her'.

I picked up my pencil again as I began to write till I reached my daily word count of my diary, keeping my promise that I had to make it pass a thousand words every single day.