IV

PART I - 'Love OR Hate?'

Y

The night went through unpleasantly with another quarrel between us just like how any other pair of siblings would react after finding out they will be sharing the same school till graduation.

If only I would have known about this earlier, the conflict with him would have been perhaps peaceful and rather filled with some random eye rolls coming from him instead.

Ahh...

It's raining.

The curtains swayed to-and-fro, accompanied by the howling of the wind and the echo of the ocean roaring in the distance, sending me slight shivers down my spine.

-

"Bye sweetie, have a great day at school," Mother gave me a hug as I bid her goodbye and avoided the piercing stare from Jay.

The pathways were covered in a thick blanket of rainwater as I shoved my hands into my hoodie and walked slower than usual to prevent slipping.

"Tcsk, stop being like a tortoise and hurry up!" Jay muttered and walked ahead of me, pushing me to the side of the lane.

Just as I predicted, the rainwater skipped past my shoes, making me wobble in sight as my eyes widened immediately when a pair of hands grabbed me gently at my shoulders.

"Ms Jeon, why aren't you wearing your boots today?" The figure asked me as I glanced at him, noticing how worry was painted on his face.

"Sunghoon...?"

"You almost fell down towards the ocean!" He pointed towards the beach directly beneath the pathways as I looked down in embarrassment.

"Thank you..." I removed his arm that was attached to my shoulder and bowed as a sign of gratitude while walking away.

"Yeri-ah~!!" I chuckled upon hearing that enchanting voice of Minjeong as I closed my eyes and felt that loving back hug from her.

"Yeri-ah, I missed you so much, so, so, much~!!" She stretched her hands out wide as though she was demonstrating just how much she has missed me.

"Awhh, is that so?" I gave her a teasing smirk as she chuckled and nodded her head.

"Don't tease me this early in the morning Yeri-ah, it reminds me of that jerk," She said and walked beside me towards our classroom.

"Now, which guy is that?" I asked again, with a teasing smile as we sat down side by side.

Minjeong has always been that one playgirl in the school who swaps her boyfriends every week just to kill time.

As cheerful as she seems, she was indeed a looker and that one best friend who has been by my side ever since kindergarten.

"That newly transferred student, Jay Park!!" She said in annoyance as I widened my eyes and looked at her in confusion.

"Jay... Park...?"

"I'm telling you Yeri, that guy is a total bastard. He's been interrupting the classes every now and then and it's awfully annoying!" Minjeong rolled her eyes as soon as she noticed how Jay just entered the classroom.

Sh*t.

He's even in my homeroom class?!

"He's always either sleeping at the back or talking with the other guys loudly as though the other students and teachers were invisible," She sighed and shook her head.

A complaint of a guy coming from the very lips of Minjeong was honestly rather strange, considering how she has yet to bad-mouth any single one of her exes, even for those who were complete jerks.

I gave her a smile to calm her down as she chuckled and then rolled her eyes again as soon as Jay started throwing crumpled papers in our direction.

I shook my head and picked up the crumpled papers while throwing them into the trash can.

If only you've all seen his true side at home,

He's way worse than this when he pretends you don't exist.

-

"Ms. Jeon?" I turned around to see my homeroom teacher signalling me to come over.

"Good morning, Ms. Ha. Is there something I've missed during my absence?"

"I'm aware of your absence during the last three months, Ms. Jeon. As far as I know how diligent and hardworking you are, the school has still appointed me to search for a tutor for you so you can catch up with the work in school," Ms. Ha smiled while pointing towards the student who was currently self-studying at the corner.

"And my candidate for the tutor would be Mr. Park, will that be alright?" I turned my head to see Sunghoon approaching us with a handsome smile on his face.

Damn,

For a moment I thought it was going to be Jay Park...

"It'll be my pleasure to tutor Ms. Jeon, Ms. Ha," He smiled again as Ms. Ha nodded her head and started her class.

What is this strange feeling in me...?

I looked down just to realise how my cheeks were tinted in a faint blush of pinkish red as I placed my palm on my chest to slow down my heartbeat.

"Would it be alright if we can host the tutoring session at your place?" His voice travelled through my eardrums, making the drum in my heart beat louder.

"Ahh... yeah, I supposed that would be a great idea," I replied as he smiled charmingly again and walked towards his seat.

-

Sunghoon and I have been acquaintances since first year.

Another high school heartthrob he seems to be,

It would be a lie if I've said I've never once been interested.

Evenso, I've always known how he viewed the meaning of 'love'.

No matter how many confessions he has received,

It will never change the fact that he was cold,

Much colder than the sweet smile plastered on his face,

As though he was made of pure ice.

"Let's go home together?" Minjeong held my arm as I nodded my head and followed her out of the classroom.

At the very far end of the school's gate stood two familiar figures, one with a captivating eye smile and the other rolling his eagle-like eyes, both looking at us from a distance.

What are they doing...?

-

Thank you for reading 'Whale Tale' Chapter IV!!

A vote and some comments will make my dayyy :p

Chapter update: every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9.30pm KST