Chapter 4

As I enter at Blue's, I notice that a few of my colleagues are already near the bar trying to attract the bartender's attention.

This decades-old pub has acquired a remarkable reputation over the years thanks to its warm atmosphere and famous cocktails.

It's close enough to the office that we can meet there after work. As soon as you set foot in the place, you feel right at home.

I make my way through the crowd. The laid-back atmosphere makes this place one of our favorite places. It's stylish, but not pretentious.

Above all, we don't encounter young people who don't know how to drink. Most of the people who find themselves here are workers who want to relieve pressure after a hard week.

We often leave late, because at midnight, the pub turns into a nightclub. The wild music and the lights that flood the dance floor forces us to move our hips without being able to stop.

"What do you want to drink, Novalie?" Jason shouts to me, now attracting the bartender's attention.

"I'll have a beer and two shots of whisky," I told him when I finally managed to join the group.

"Big week," says Anna, winking at me.

"You have no idea!" I replied, as I sat down on a stool next to her.

The bartender arrives in front of me and places my order. I grab the first shot and empty it dry. Jamie sits next to me at the bar and orders the same thing.

"Have you heard from Ben?", she whispers in my ear.

I nod at her and take the second shot. The bartender brings me my beer and I order him two more shots.

"I have to empty my boxes this weekend, so I'm stocking up on courage."

"Who needs courage? » asks Jason, approaching us with an old-fashioned in his hand.

"Nova needs it," Jamie replies, putting his hand on my shoulder.

I give her a look that can kill you in an instant. I don't like talking about my problems. I confided in Jamie at the office about Ben, although Jason, Anna and Lee are all very nice.

"Yeah, it's time to get my life together and forget about Ben, my ex-fiancé," I tell them, taking a sip of my beer.

"To singleness and asshole exes!", shouts Anna and everyone raises their glasses to support Anna's statement and give me support.

"Mmm," I thought to myself. "To celibacy." And I down my other two shots.

***

   After several hours of discussion, the music changes and increases in amplitude. The lights dim and give way to color projectors which flood the room with dozens of multicolored rays.

The boom-boom from the speakers makes my chest vibrate. The people gathered in the room start shouting with joy and move towards the dance floor.

Jamie and Anna lead our group through the crowd to get a prime spot. Waka Waka by Shakira is heard, and everyone immediately starts to dance. I laugh at the effect that an old song and a lot of alcohol can have on the human body.

For some, it's arms in the air and for others it's Michael Jackson-style movements. For me, it's my pelvis that goes into a trance when my alcohol level reaches a certain threshold. It emits ripples that I can't control. I finally let my body take over my heart and my head.

I dance and dance until I'm exhausted. After a few upbeat songs, Jamie motioned with his head for me to look to my right towards the bar.

I turn and meet piercing blue eyes staring at me. I look away after a few seconds, because the intensity of his gaze caught me off guard. I turn to Jamie and she starts making fun of me.