Chapter 23

During the trip, Knox tells me that the demons attacked the Light Clan. This is apparently nothing new. Usually, they can easily eliminate them before they approach the security perimeter surrounding the base camp.

During this ambush, the demons had gotten close enough to surprise the guards. A general crush broke out, and some injured people had to be taken to the caretakers. Luckily, the demons had all been eliminated, but the damage was already done.

We're about to arrive at the mansion, but I can't help but remembering my evening. Dinner with Asher hadn't gone as I had planned. He told me the story of good and evil and that of the firebird.

He even made me understand that I was indeed this bird. According to him, my nightmares are logical proof of this. He told me that the phoenix was an evil and power-hungry being, and that I absolutely had to control it.

I can't argue with him on that point. Just looking at the memory loss, the tantrums and my attack on an innocent man. I can't allow this being to rule me and take control over me.

He also told me that Knox wasn't the superhero he claimed to be and that he was hiding a lot of things from me. I asked him to give me more details, but he didn't want to answer. Then he abruptly ended the dinner, citing an emergency.

I now know that he was the one who launched the attack, and that the situation didn't end as he had hoped. I remember his reaction of irritation and pent-up anger when he took a call on his phone.

I had returned to my home on my own, in a state of shock at having learned so much about myself that I thought I knew. Sure, I had some answers tonight, but I couldn't go home without panicking, knowing that a monster was buried inside me.

At that moment, Knox helped me to form my own idea of who I really am. In a way, he rescued me. His story was the opposite of the one Asher told me. Although I have no reason to doubt Knox's words, Asher's warning is still ingrained in my mind.

What if he was right and Knox was lying to me all along? I thought. Then I reassure myself by reminding myself that he has always been honest since I met him. On the other hand, I know that he hasn't told me everything and that he's hiding certain things from me.

Would I have thought he was crazy if he had told me everything when we first met? Probably.

I turn to him and notice that he's tense. His jaw is clenched and one of his hands grips the steering wheel tightly. He looks ahead, lost in thought. I don't think I've seen him this serious since I met him. I guess he must be worried about his family at the moment.

So I decide to place my hand on his to show him my support. He then lowers his head to look at my hand, and turns his eyes towards me. I can detect in the depths of these contradictory emotions, such as worry and tenderness, or even anger and passion.

He looks away to focus on the road once again. As his warmth radiates from his skin to mine, my heart begins to feel emotions that seemed long buried. A sort of feeling of finding something I didn't know I had lost.

Being close to Knox brings these emotions back to me. I look at him again, and suddenly images from another era come to mind.

Knox who offers me his hand to guide me on the dance floor at a ball, Knox who offers me a bouquet of freshly picked wild flowers or Knox who picks me up and spins me through the air while laughing out loud.

I blink and the images have already escaped me.

"Knox, I didn't know you were such a good dancer." I told him to take his mind off things.

I see him quickly turn his head in my direction as he digests the message I just told him. He can't help but smile with his perfectly white teeth as he answers me.

"I'm a great dancer, baby. I couldn't say the same thing about you. I've lost count of the number of times you've crushed my toes," he teases as his smile widens.

"Knox, I'm not that bad," I said, giving him a friendly pat on the arm.

"I'm glad your memories are starting to come back," he said, lifting my hand to place a quick kiss on it.

"Indeed, images and moments that we must have shared are coming to the surface now," I told him. That's a good sign, right?

"It's a very good sign, he told me. This is always how it starts. Your memories will come back to you more and more regularly, then, eventually, you should remember everything," He assures me.

"That's good to know," I tell him as I sit comfortably in the passenger seat and look out the window, caught up in my thoughts.