Chapter 10

"Monday morning, and I'm already late for work," I thought as I hurried into a matching skirt and blouse.

I quickly go to the bathroom to put my hair in a high, messy bun and apply the minimum amount of makeup so that my face looks luminous. Not that I need it, because my skin is as smooth as a baby's skin.

I head to the kitchen and see that Em hasn't waited for me this morning. "Shit," I cursed. She must have thought I was starting later. On the contrary, I have to leave early today, because I'm meeting the new client.

I grab my phone, a coffee and call the office to let them know that I'm late. I hope Jamie can replace me. I text her and order an Uber.

I don't know whether the whole world is ganging up on me or if it's because I left twenty minutes later, but the traffic is terrible. The taxi has been standing there for about ten minutes.

I rage and grow impatient, while the driver looks helplessly at me through the rearview mirror. I hate being late, especially when it means missing an important meeting.

I don't know why my alarm didn't ring this morning. However, I checked that it was activated before going to sleep. Technology isn't always reliable, and I have to suffer the consequences.

As I gaze at the city on the horizon, I can't help but remember the roller coaster of emotions I experienced over the weekend. I thought I could move on from my relationship with Ben, but that's not going to happen.

Yesterday I received a text from him saying he was sorry for how our relationship ended. He has regrets for breaking up with me the way he did and blah, blah, blah.

I was so angry that I was only able to tell him to stop contacting me and that I didn't have time for this bullshit anymore. If he was truly remorseful, why didn't he call me instead of texting me again?

I know it's stupid, but I just want to protect my fragile heart and make him understand that this is unforgivable. I don't want anything from him anymore, and all I want is for the sadness inside me to go away.

I want to live and be reborn from my ashes. I want to become myself again: a cheerful, confident woman with a touch of madness. I no longer want to be the girlfriend rejected by her fiancé. Never again!

I made progress by sorting through my memories and letting go during an evening. Finally, I take advantage of what life has sent me. Knox is like a balm to my heart. For a moment, it allowed me to forget about my problems and turn the page on my relationship with Ben.

He understood that I'm hurt and fragile, but he also managed to make me feel something again. Today, I know that I'm a desirable, sexy and confident woman who faces the different world that is available to me. I'm determined to enjoy every moment without taking myself seriously, well, for the moment.

***

Finally, the driver dropped me off in front of the building leading to my workplace. I quickly get out of the car and run inside.

I arrive in front of Jacelyn's office, and she invites me to approach her. I stop in front of her, panting from the frantic race I have just run.

"Good morning", I said to her with my best smile.

"Good morning, Nova! The boss wants to see you as soon as you have dropped off your things." She pointed to Mark's office.

"On a scale of zero to ten, where is he on the anger scale?"

I know Mark doesn't like delays, so I ask her about it.

"Do you really want to know" Jacelyn asks me while scratching the bridge of her nose slightly uneasily.