Chapter 29

Evening comes sooner than I expected. I see the time passing by on the clock at lightning speed. I feel feverish as I put on warmer clothes. To tell you the truth, I'm afraid of being alone with Knox.

After my discussion with Neven, I was able to reflect on my situation and came to the conclusion that I need to open up more and trust what Knox is telling me about our irrefutable connection. It's talking about all this with him that worries me the most.

I pass by the bedroom mirror and find that my green eyes are sparkling with new radiance and my cheeks are flushed with the anticipation I feel deep in my stomach. My muscles have developed, and they show in my black leggings.

I feel stronger and more determined than the last months of my existence. I leave my anxieties behind me and leave the room with a positive attitude and greater self-confidence.

Night has already fallen outside and the mansion is quiet and lifeless at this late hour. I easily find Knox waiting for me in the large living room. He looks breathtaking, dressed in dark pants and a sweater. They highlight the brown of his hair and the ocean blue of his eyes.

He runs his hand through his hair as he notices me. It looks like he's just as uncomfortable as I am, all things considered.

We're going to spend the whole night patrolling and monitoring the clan's territory, even though we haven't spoken honestly since I'm awakening. We talked, of course, but it always came down to how I felt since my awakening. I see him swallow and then move towards me.

"Are you ready? " He asks me, burying his hands in his pockets.

"Yes, where do we start? " I asked him, focusing on the main task of protecting the clan from the demons.

"We'll walk the entire perimeter, starting on the north side. Then we will stay at the edge of the forest at the top of the mountain to keep watch. Then the other pair of guards will alternate the sequence with us. Did you understand well? "

" Yes, it works " I told him.

" Did you bring your dagger? " He questions me again.

" Yes " I tell him, showing him this one that I have slipped into a sheath on the left side of my hip.

"Alright. Know that I don't want you to take unnecessary risks and always stay close to me so that I can see you. In times of difficulty, trust in your powers. Understood?"

"Understood," I told him, nodding.

With that, he leads me outside and we begin heading north. I see Knox taking this situation seriously, scanning the space in front of us with his piercing eyes.

He regularly glances at me to make sure I'm following him and that everything is okay. I can't help but look at him as he concentrates on his task. His imposing posture, his broad shoulders which protrude through the fabric of his sweater and his large hand on the hilt of his sword, just turn my senses upside down.

I can't deny that there is a strong physical attraction between us. He turns back to me, questioning me with his gaze, although he knows full well that I have been watching him for some time.

" Is everything alright? " He asks me after a moment of trying to decipher me.

I nod at him, deflation in the process of not wanting to start a serious discussion. I don't think this is the right time as we patrol at a fast pace. I turn around, blushing, breaking eye contact, and try to focus on what's going on around me.

I should really take this shift seriously and stop tormenting myself over Knox's tantalizing body. Since I have been at the mansion, no kisses or caresses have been exchanged between us. I didn't even sleep in Knox's bed once, which I sorely miss. I miss our intimacy and being alone with him increases this attraction.