Chapter 21

"Light and dark have always been in constant opposition since the creation of the world," I began my story, glancing at Novalie out of the corner of my eye. Trying to look for any sign that might shock her.

This doesn't seem to bother her. On the contrary, she has her head resting against my chest and she seems relaxed, so I continue my story.

"As I said, opposed each other: the clan of Light and the clan of Shadow. At their command, two sons. The one of the Sun and the one of the Night. They have always clashed in an endless war to try to maintain the balance between good and evil. Each of the two clans has won as many victories as defeats, which represents a perfect balance on the Earth. The survival of all humanity depends on this fragile balance."

"Asher told me that this balance was nothing more than a lie put in place by the Light Clan to prevent the Shadow Clan from taking back their former territory. All this was to avoid another war and for it to be in their favour," she told me while remaining glued to me.

"Actually, that's not entirely true. Asher tends to sugarcoat the truth. It is therefore by mutual agreement that these two clans have concluded this balance together to prevent war from destroying the entire world. All this has no connection with any territory," I corrected Asher's erroneous version.

I give her time to argue my version of the facts while I detect in his features a questioning about to emerge.

"So it's true that you're the leader of the Light clan, and that Asher is the leader of the opposing clan?" she asks me, her voice still tinged with disbelief.

"Yes, indeed, and this story is mine. It's my version of events." I told her, waiting for a reaction from her that never came.

I then continue my story from where I left off.

"The son of shadow tried everything to gain more power. He didn't hesitate to use all stratagems to achieve his goals." While the Son of Light tried to maintain balance by countering his rival's maneuvers.

"I don't want to interrupt you all the time, but what power did he want to seize? "she asks, looking up at me, suddenly curious.

"Baby, power comes in many forms, but for the son of Shadow, it meant possessing what he couldn't obtain," I said to her in my melancholy voice, still remembering that day there.

I see Novalie returning comfortably to her original position and she stays silent to let me continue.

"To reward his son for his bravery and his sense of duty, but also because he felt lonely, the Sun god presented him with a gift commensurate with his exploits. He spent several days perfecting it before giving it to his only son, as a gift. This precious treasure was none other than a firebird called Phoenix."

I see Novalie inhale deeply, then stiffen against me. To reassure her, I stroke my fingertips along her arm. She knows very well that I'm talking about her. Asher must have told her about this passage. Leaving nothing to show, I continue.

"This bird was unique in its kind, because it possessed multiple gifts. He possessed, among other things, the powers of fire, healing and eternal life. Thus, this incredible creature could live for a very long time, then die and be reborn from its ashes when the time came.

"Tell me more about this Phoenix, please," she asks me tenderly with her sweet voice, taking my hand in hers. When she speaks in that tone, I can't resist.

I hold her tighter and gently caress her back. I sigh and continue.

"This Phoenix was the only one of its kind. He was fiery, passionate and fought in the name of justice alongside the son of the Sun. People said that his beauty was unrivalled and that he could only love one person for the rest of his life," I ended up saying this with so much emotion in my voice that I was even afraid that she would notice.

"When my father told me that he had a gift for my abilities as a commander, I would never have imagined that he had made me such a creature. She looked like a woman at first glance. She was majestic, breathtakingly beautiful, and had a fiery temperament."

When I saw her for the first time, my whole body and heart could not resist her presence. I didn't understand why a bond between us formed instinctively. Since that day, I have been unable to live without her. I keep it for myself.

I see Novalie's chest rise faster and I hear her heart beating harder.

Was my story a trigger for her? Does she know I'm talking about her? I give her time to think about what I've said before continuing.

"As I said, the son of the Sun was grateful and never separated from this bird again. They had even become inseparable. Through all of life, they never stopped finding each other. Then, one day, the son of the night met the firebird on his way and wanted to capture it. He believed he could convince him to change clans, so he tried to capture him.

"I'm sure this bird didn't let it happen," she told me with certainty.

"Indeed, you are right. This didn't work because the bird had a pure heart and couldn't collaborate with the son of the night. So he escaped. Furious that this bird couldn't belong to him, he began to make objects that could control it," I continued with a hint of bitterness in my voice.

"This Phoenix... it's me, isn't it?" She asks me directly.