Chapter 30

"I hope I made the right choice" I say to myself quietly as I place my cell phone on the living room table.

I can't stop asking myself this question since I sent my text. On the other hand, I must find answers to my questions. I only know one side of myself, but I must reveal a hidden side of me in order for me to feel whole.

Several minutes pass before I hear a knock on my door. I get up quickly in surprise. Time just passed faster than I expected. I'm going to open it and find a little stocky man outside.

I'm surprised to see that the trusted person sent to me isn't more imposing than that. He must not be more than five feet tall. His eyes are as black as the night and he stares at me for a moment before giving me a curt nod of his head in greeting.

I clear my throat and go out with my bag, which he takes from my hands. He seems not to suffer from the weight of it, because he carries it as if it were filled with feathers. I follow him to the car before he puts my bag in the back trunk.

I left a note for Em before we left to reassure her that it wasn't a last-minute business trip. That should reassure her for a while.

The little man then opens the back door for me and I slide into the leather seat. He closes the door, walks around the car and gets behind the wheel. I'm surprised that he can touch the car pedals and drive a car.

He turns on the ignition and carefully enters traffic. We drive for several minutes before arriving at our destination. The little man stops in front of an imposing multi-storey building that was recently built in the heart of the city.

"Is it here? " I asked him, surprised that it was so close to my work.

In response, he glares at me through the rearview mirror before coming to open the door for me.

"Does he know how to talk? " I whispered to myself, suddenly irritated that I was talking to myself.

He takes my bag and without waiting he heads towards the entrance of the building. The security guards let us pass even though they recognized my companion. The guards glare at me as I walk past them. Without feeling threatened, I completely ignore them and just follow my guide.

He arrives at the elevator, gestures for me to enter and enters a code. I feel propelled upwards as the floors tick by on the indicator dial. A beep notifies us that we have arrived at our destination. The sixty-sixth floor, what a coincidence, I think as I read the number on the dial. The doors open and the man places my bag at the entrance and gestures for me to enter.

As I enter the apartment, I hear another beep. I turn around to see that the man has left me alone. Internally cursing against this little man who has just left me alone in this apartment. I move slowly towards the corridor in front of me.

Everything is new and modern. The walls and floors are polished concrete, I notice as I walk down the corridor. This leads to an open area which connects the living room and the kitchen. The back wall is glass and we can see the city lights around us. The design of the apartment is modern and refined.

I hear a noise coming from the other side of the apartment. I turn towards this direction still on my guard.

"Novalie, what a wonderful surprise to see you here " Asher says to me as he arrives in the area where I am.

He wears one of his eternal designer suits. His black hair is wet maybe from the rain raging outside. His amber eyes fixed on me like those of a leopard on its prey. He approaches slowly, giving me time to observe him.

My memories of Asher came back to me when I had my awakening. I have mixed feelings about whether he's as bad as people say. I remember him helping me to control my powers, and even answering some questions about myself.