[Edited] Chapter 36

Author: The wind is too late

Su Yuan excitedly pulled her boyfriend's sleeve and asked, "Boss, is this the marriage tree? It's so beautifully decorated; I can't find words to describe its unique beauty."

"Antique," Zhou Wen, standing next to them, suddenly spoke.

"Yes, quaint. Wen Baobao's description is very apt, worthy of being my boyfriend," Su Yuan said, taking his hand and praising him with a smile.

Tang Candy smiled and waved her hand, "But it shouldn't be just antique. I've only incorporated a few ancient elements. Do you still want to tie the red rope?"

"Such a beautiful tree, it must be tied."

"Yo, what is Tang Sugar doing?" Grandma Zhang and a few of her sisters from next door walked towards her.

Tang Sugar explained the origin of the marriage tree to them.

Grandma Zhang immediately sighed, "You young people have such creative ideas."

Tang Sugar suddenly quipped, "Grandma Zhang, shouldn't you tie a red rope with Grandpa Li to celebrate?"

Grandma Zhang lightly tapped Tang Sugar's forehead, "You cheeky girl! How old do you think we are, playing these young people's games? It's not proper at our age."

"Tying a red rope is nothing to be ashamed of. Besides, you've been a couple for decades; it should be sweet." While they were talking, Grandma Zhang's husband, Li Zhu, arrived with a few of his chess friends, carrying small tables and stools. Hearing that his wife was hesitant to tie a red rope, Li Zhu interjected loudly.

Suddenly, Grandma Zhang's sisters burst into laughter, fanning themselves as they couldn't stop giggling.

"Old man, you don't have to shout so loudly," Grandma Zhang complained in annoyance.

"Let's tie the red rope, Shinko." Li Zhu handed his small bench to his chess friend.

The chess friends teased, "Lao Li, aren't you eager to play chess today?"

"I'll let you play first. I'm going to tie the red rope with Shinko." Li Zhu quickly walked towards Grandma Zhang after speaking.

The chess players laughed and joked about Li Zhu's hurried steps.

One of the chess players laughed the loudest until his ear was grabbed by a sister from Grandma Zhang's group, "Isn't the old man funny?"

"Why are you grabbing me? Wife, you were laughing too."

"I don't care. We're going to tie the red rope now."

"What? Aren't you ashamed?"

"Are you going or not?" The sister intensified her grip.

"Okay, okay, it hurts! I'll tie it! I'll tie it!"

After that, the elderly couples who came to Tang Sugar's shop all tied the red rope together.

Initially, Tang Sugar thought only young couples would participate in the marriage tree tradition, but she was surprised to see elderly couples becoming the main participants.

Tang Sugar suddenly saw Sister Zhao approaching. She tiptoed excitedly, waving and shouting sweetly, "Sister Zhao!"

Sister Zhao quickened her pace when she heard Tang Sugar's shout and soon arrived in front of her. "Sugar, look what I brought."

Sister Zhao carried a small bamboo basket and handed it to Tang Sugar.

"Wow! It's gardenias." Tang Sugar looked at the white gardenias. Their simple and fresh aroma filled the air, elegant yet long-lasting, like the purest perfume.

"Sugar, you really know your flowers. I found these a few days ago. They don't look like much at first glance, but their unique fragrance is very fresh, perfect for a room," Sister Zhao said, handing her the small basket.

Tang Sugar took it and said, "Sister Zhao, this flower has another use." She took out a gardenia from the basket, placed it in Sister Zhao's hair, making her look fragrant and beautiful.

Sister Zhao's lips curled into a slight smile as she gently touched the gardenia in her hair, her eyes lighting up like a simple, shy child.

After giving Tang Sugar the gardenias, she looked around and noticed the beautiful lights in the shop and the many elderly couples happily tying red ropes to the peach blossom tree. She asked Tang Sugar about it.

After Tang Sugar explained, she quipped, "Sister Zhao, do you want to tie one?"

Sister Zhao shook her head without hesitation. Tang Sugar had always seen her as a beautiful fairy-like sister, and she couldn't imagine fairies falling in love.

So Tang Sugar told her about tonight's plans. "According to legend, people used to float lotus lanterns on the river during the Qixi Festival. I'll be going to the lake with Tian Tian to float lanterns later. Do you want to join us?"

Sister Zhao nodded, "That sounds very interesting. Shall we go now?"

"Wait, I need to prepare." Tang Sugar glanced at Qi Tian.

Qi Tian covered his head alertly, but Tang Sugar just put a gardenia in the small pocket in front of his chest, regretting his short hair. Qi Tian subconsciously sighed with relief.

After that, Tang Sugar went to the shop, handed a box containing five red bean cakes to Sister Zhao, and asked her to sit and eat slowly. Then she quickly ran back to her room, sat at her dresser, and tied her hair into two ponytails.

Since graduating from elementary school, Tang Sugar hadn't worn her hair in two braids, but seeing the gardenias had revived a vague memory.