[Edited] Chapter 43

Author: The wind is too late

"I'll go pour you some water." Tang Tang said, breaking the delicate atmosphere as she hurried to get the water.

After Tang Tang poured the water, she handed the glass to Qi Tian, who took it and drank slowly.

"Does it still hurt?" Tang Tang asked worriedly, looking at the boy who was even more silent than usual.

Qi Tian shook his head. "It doesn't hurt, it's nothing."

Suddenly, he put down the water cup, hugged Tang Tang, and whispered, "It's good that you're okay."

"What do you mean 'okay'? I'm fine. It's you who's injured." Tang Tang gently hugged him, careful not to touch his wound. Tears welled up in her eyes, and her voice quivered. "I'm just glad you're okay."

Qi Tian gently patted her back and comforted her, "This will never happen again. We'll be fine from now on."

Once Tang Tang controlled her tears, she let go of Qi Tian and gently pushed him to lean back against the headboard. "You should rest. If you're hungry, I'll cook something."

"Cook? Are you going home?" Qi Tian asked.

"No, I'll cook here." Tang Tang rubbed his hair affectionately. "I'll stay with you until you're discharged."

"Who's bothering you?" Qi Tian asked suddenly.

Tang Tang was silent for a moment before slowly saying, "Just a half-sister." She flicked Qi Tian's forehead lightly. "Don't worry about these dirty things. I'm prepared now, and she can't hurt me."

"Tang Tang, do you want her to disappear?" Qi Tian's tone was calm, almost casual, but with an underlying hint of menace.

Tang Tang thought she had misheard, but the hint of menace was clear. She shook her head and instinctively asked, "Disappear? How would she disappear?"

Qi Tian stared at her in silence for a while.

"The kind of death that makes someone disappear," Qi Tian said suddenly.

Tang Tang was stunned for a moment but found she wasn't as surprised as she thought she'd be. She held Qi Tian's face and looked at him seriously. "Qi Tian, interstellar law punishes killing very severely. You must never think of killing anyone. People should see more good things in life. Don't let others' mistakes punish you."

She continued, "I can protect myself. If my half-sister tries to hurt me again, I'll take legal action. You don't have to worry."

"Got it." Qi Tian's eyes remained fixed on her, as if she were a treasure.

Tang Tang, seeing Qi Tian's eyes filled with approval, smiled slightly. "I'll make dinner for you."

She ordered an induction cooker, a customized crockpot, small pots, kitchen knives, chopping boards, plates, chopsticks, and various ingredients on the Star Network. The hospital ward had a living room, bathroom, and a small accompanying bed, making it feel like home despite lacking a kitchen.

When the delivery arrived, Tang Tang set up the induction cooker and other items in the living room. She washed the vegetables in a basin, using the indirect water from the bathroom.

After washing and cleaning all the ingredients, she diced the pork, carrots, fungus, and shiitake mushrooms, then mixed them with seasoning. She kneaded the flour into a smooth dough, cut it into small portions, and rolled them out, preparing to make hot dumplings. She hoped these dumplings would symbolize reunion, health, and happiness for her and Qi Tian.

With the air conditioner on, the hospital ward was cool. The dumplings, steaming hot, smelled delicious. Tang Tang poured a dish of vinegar and moved a small table next to Qi Tian's bed. "Eat quickly. Dumplings are best right out of the pot, and they taste even better with vinegar."

Qi Tian took a bite. The dumplings were delicious, hot, and warming. "These are really good, Tang Tang. You should eat too; you said dumplings are best right out of the pot."

Tang Tang sat beside Qi Tian and ate the dumplings with him. Afterward, she prepared to make radish bone broth soup. She soaked the pork bones in cool water to remove the blood, then boiled them to scald off the remaining blood. After rinsing the bones, she put them in a crockpot on the induction cooker with ginger, cooking wine, and water, and let it cook until the soup turned white.

Tang Tang added salt and the cut white radish, then covered the crockpot and let it simmer overnight. This way, Qi Tian would have nourishing soup the next day.

In the orphanage, during the Chinese New Year, the dean's mother would cook soup overnight, and the entire orphanage would be filled with a rich aroma the next day. Since Tang Tang went to college, she hadn't been able to replicate that flavor with a pressure cooker. She hoped the combination of the induction cooker and crockpot would bring back that familiar taste.

After preparing the soup, Tang Tang sat with Qi Tian, watching TV together. Suddenly, an emergency notice interrupted the program: the Imperial Marshal had disappeared!